News Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Allegedly Heads To U.S. Retailers

The main issue here might be "Scalpers" again grabbing any GPU they can find and then sell them at exorbitant prices afterwards. But given the $999 USD price tag, I hope this time scalper bots don't end up buying all these cards from e-tailers.

But like you have already mentioned, the GPU shortage/supply issue is more likely going to be a huge deciding factor, instead of scalping. I honestly don't think these will retail for $1K USD though. I expect an even higher price tag for these custom cards.

The main issue here might be "Scalpers" again grabbing any GPU they can find and then sell them at exorbitant prices afterwards. But given the $999 USD price tag, I hope this time scalper bots don't end up buying all these cards from e-tailers.

But like you have already mentioned, the GPU shortage/supply issue is more likely going to be a huge deciding factor, instead of scalping. I honestly don't think these will retail for $1K USD though. I expect an even higher price tag for these custom cards.
Don’t worry. The card makers are catching on. Making mostly new SKUs of the cards. Bringing retail prices up to scalper prices.

I was a Microcenter yesterday buying a new mobo, CPU, RAM and SSD. Thought I’d check if I’d be lucky and come across new cards in stock.

Low and behold there was a big stack of 6700XT and 6900XT. I thought I’d lucked out and be able to buy retail. Building my system in one fell swoop.

Then came the price $850 for the 6700xt and $1850 for the 6900XT. I thought surely this is wrong. I found Microcenterold listings for the same cards for nearly half $480 for the 6700xt.

The clerk informed me these are new SKUs. The old SKUs simply aren’t being made. Looking at the boxes. They changed the color. These were Sapphire cards.

If you’re wondering why you keep seeing announcements of new revisions of cards. Cards which sell out immediately. Wondering why they’re wasting time with this. It’s to release new SKUs at much higher prices. At least that’s my take.

Giroro

Splendid
But given the $999 USD price tag, I hope this time scalper bots don't end up buying all these cards from e-tailers.
A $1500 price tag hasn't stopped them from continuing to buy up every 3090. The $2000+ price tags on partner cards hasn't stopped them either. Because the mining value means people think they will still be profitable when they buy one at $3,000.
I think at current rates, a $3000 RTX 3090 will pay for itself in something like 8-10 months, assuming crypto doesn't crash after a few months again - like the last bitcoin bubble.

But don't worry, the 3080 Ti FE will be available in limited quantities from Best Buy for a low low MSRP, designed to undercut the 3090 at $1499.98.
Very generous of them, since scalpers are going to flip them for $3000 - and they will sell. With that memory configuration, they will mine almost exactly the same value as a 3090.
But why people think it's an investment to pay miners to slowly take their money, I'll never understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Honestly, who, apart from miners and scalpers gives a damn about new GPU stock anymore? With those prices the only accessible cards are 2 generations old and totally inadequate. I'm stuck with my 1050ti because its price is now fcking higher than what I bought it for new in 2017! What the actual flying fck. Not even talking about the fact that in some countries the retailers sell at scalper prices because they can. So really, not even luck can help you. There's shortage of production capacity for semiconductors globally and it will soon be as expensive to buy a computer as it was in the f*cking 90s, these fabs need a lot of time to build and set up. Did you hear about Conexant? Prepare for motherboards to go up in price as well as have shortage there and this goes for both desktop and laptops.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I must've misread that other news article where 3080Ti dies would be repurposed for 3090s.
3080Ti is still a go then.
FE model for 999USD Nvidia?

I am simply amazed at the number of stupid people who would buy these cards at these prices

That’s what you would call more money than brains
But then we get slapped by, "It's my money, I can spend it however I want, and it's none of you ducking business."
Well they're certainly right. We shouldn't care, and they don't care...
It's all a matter of ethics.

I'm certain they're intending to make some of the difference back via mining, which is why some folks bite the bullet on the inflated prices.

Last edited:
While I would no doubt love to have one of these to power my gaming rig for the foreseeable future, I'm not paying that far over the MSRP for any card, founders or otherwise. If that means I have to continue on with my 1080 until that point, so be it.

This is about greed. Greed by the manufacturers, scalpers, retailers, and anyone else who can get their hands on these. It's abhorrent. I'm not against people making money on things, but this is ridiculous.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I must've misread that other news article where 3080Ti dies would be repurposed for 3090s.
3080Ti is still a go then.
FE model for 999USD Nvidia?
At least some have been repurposed. This combined with the news of a new 3060 revision with ethereum countermeasures built in would point towards the 3080Ti being delayed until a GA-102 variant with the same crypto handicaps was done. 3080's almost completely disappearing from the market since the new year started could indicate this revision has been in the works a while. With 3080Ti's already shipping which should know soon enough.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Honestly, who, apart from miners and scalpers gives a damn about new GPU stock anymore? With those prices the only accessible cards are 2 generations old and totally inadequate. I'm stuck with my 1050ti because its price is now fcking higher than what I bought it for new in 2017! What the actual flying fck. Not even talking about the fact that in some countries the retailers sell at scalper prices because they can. So really, not even luck can help you. There's shortage of production capacity for semiconductors globally and it will soon be as expensive to buy a computer as it was in the f*cking 90s, these fabs need a lot of time to build and set up. Did you hear about Conexant? Prepare for motherboards to go up in price as well as have shortage there and this goes for both desktop and laptops.
That's why it now makes more sense to buy a prebuilt rig. I recently bought an HP Omen 30L that came with a fully spec'd system that included an RTX 3080 for $2199. The price for an RTX 3080 on Ebay is around $2200.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
That's why it now makes more sense to buy a prebuilt rig. I recently bought an HP Omen 30L that came with a fully spec'd system that included an RTX 3080 for $2199. The price for an RTX 3080 on Ebay is around $2200.
This is just a workaround to obtaining a video card at a normal(ish) price but you still overspend by a big margin, first of all this VC is not at MSRP in this rig and second you spend on a lot more than just the hardware. Also I hate this Apple approach, you don't upgrade your PC anymore, you just buy a completely new one.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Don’t worry. The card makers are catching on. Making mostly new SKUs of the cards. Bringing retail prices up to scalper prices.

I was a Microcenter yesterday buying a new mobo, CPU, RAM and SSD. Thought I’d check if I’d be lucky and come across new cards in stock.

Low and behold there was a big stack of 6700XT and 6900XT. I thought I’d lucked out and be able to buy retail. Building my system in one fell swoop.

Then came the price $850 for the 6700xt and $1850 for the 6900XT. I thought surely this is wrong. I found Microcenterold listings for the same cards for nearly half $480 for the 6700xt.

The clerk informed me these are new SKUs. The old SKUs simply aren’t being made. Looking at the boxes. They changed the color. These were Sapphire cards.

If you’re wondering why you keep seeing announcements of new revisions of cards. Cards which sell out immediately. Wondering why they’re wasting time with this. It’s to release new SKUs at much higher prices. At least that’s my take.

I would rather pay the manufacturer a higher price than a scalper, within reason.

But i got super lucky and got an AMD RX 6800 from amd.com last week so no markup. Some of the prices on newegg shuffle are okay with $100 markup but I never won that lottery.

I have never paid more than $220 for a video card before, I think that was a GeForce 4 Ti 4400. But i can afford a 6800 since my RX 580 will go for $300 or $400 on ebay used, sad. I feel bad for people with working parts that have something break and need to upgrade and not expecting to pay so much like a college student.

Last edited:
RTX 3080 MSRP $699
RTX 3080 Ti MSRP $999?!
The 3080Ti wil NOT be even close to 30% faster than the 3080 and is a horrible price v. performance compared to the 3080.

If anyone didn't think that GPU chip MFGs were catering to the miners, I give you exhibit A! They will flood the market with 'slightly different' chip versions and price all of them according to the 'new' pricing model of +100%.

Okay, AMD, your turn! Why don't you just include a free coffee mug with each RX 6800XT, change the SKU, and bump up the price by $299!

And I call BS on the whole 'limiting mining operation' that NVIDIA is touting. They just have to show that they are trying, to appease the masses. This mining limitation won't last more than a month before a workaround is figured out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Enough patience to avoid unnecessary spending. Especially for item with artificially inflated price to ridiculous level. Paying triple price for GPU to play games is not my life goal, I have other things where to spend 1500$+ with a reason.
And as has been said ad nauseum the gamers spending triple the MSRP are more likely than not going to mine with them when not gaming so they won't be paying 3 times MSRP when all is said and done.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Are we sure those boxes are actually going to reach retailers? I didn't think MSI still sold GPUs to the general public. When I was watching stock alerts, MSI products were rare to appear for sale. Definitely got the impression that MSI had other plans for their products.

Also, 12 GB of VRAM seems way too low. I had expected 16 GB as an absolute minimum. 12 GB was adequate in the past but is not going to be enough for upcoming PS5 and XBS games ported to PC.

But then we get slapped by, "It's my money, I can spend it however I want, and it's none of you ducking business."
Well they're certainly right. We shouldn't care, and they don't care...
It's all a matter of ethics.

I'm certain they're intending to make some of the difference back via mining, which is why some folks bite the bullet on the inflated prices.
You're right -- people can and should spend their money however they want. I know I've purchased some stuff at prices people would balk at. However, I think the GPU market is different. All GPU vendors are jacking up their prices, competition doesn't exist anymore, and the market is artificially manipulated by scalpers, miners, and backroom distribution deals. Anyone buying from scalpers or Asus really should be called out for financially supporting such a screwed up market. Gaming is an escape everyone should be able to enjoy -- not just streamers and those with deep pockets. The more people who support and justify today's extreme prices, the longer it's going to take for prices to come back down.

Reactions: Krotow

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
The 3090 reach prices that apparently are too high for miners to make a quick and safe buck from.
Introducing the 3080 ti based on the 3090 with less vram and cuda cores so we can continue to profit from current tech on all prices ranges and also 2018 and 2016 tech.
Nvidia, for your mining needs.

Are we sure those boxes are actually going to reach retailers?
Do we even know what is in them? I don't think it is anything new, it is too soon since the current market is not exausted yet, maybe the 3090 kind of is but it would always be very niche after prices climbed and the normal consumer does not need a 3090.