News Nvidia's GeForce RTX 4060 Founders Edition Pictured

Giroro

Splendid
It's always interesting to get a behind-the-scenes look at cancelled prototype hardware.

Before you get on me for calling this a cancelled prototype, Here's the thing.: This "4060" has 10.5GHz (21 GT/s ) memory, and there appears to be 12GB of it, although the heat pads are covering 2 of the chips.
This is very possibly the missing FE board for the "4070 Ti / 4080 12GB", or at the very least this became the RTX 4070.

Looking at it a different way, what do we think the TDP of this board is? I'm not as expert on this, especially when I can't see the part numbers. I know the 3060 Ti had 8 similar-looking phases for it's 200W TDP (25W/phase), and the 3070 Ti had 9 phases for 290W (32.2W/phase). The RTX 4080 FE had 13 phases for 320W (24.6W/phase)
I'm seeing 9 phases on this 'RTX 4060'. It seems more reasonable that the power delivery was designed for a 225W - 290W TDP, opposed to the <170W TDPs we've seen out of RTX xx60 series cards, so far.

Last edited:

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
"The Ada Lovelace-based add-in-board uses a cooling system akin to that used by other Founders Edition products, so while it may be rather quiet, it is not small enough to fit into a compact desktop."

Just pointing it out, that if the pictured shroud is indeed the cooler to be used for the 4060 FE, that I can't see it NOT fitting into a compact desktop such as an ITX or modern HTPC chassis designed with a dedicated GPU in mind. If you look closely it's only 2 slots, not 2.25 or 2.5, simply 2 slots

Also, the length of the GPU (again, assuming it will be the shroud on release) appears to be very short just by judging the fan placement relative to the PCI interface.

Nearly every modern ITX and HTPC easily accommodates up to 2 slots now if not 3 slots for most of the popular mass produced and even boutique cases as a result of constant increase of size in GPU shroud each generation since Ampere AIB's, and yes they are compact despite that increase. We're talking something like an A4H20, T1, S1 MK3 just to list a few examples. Just saying, I does seem like a small GPU if this info's true!

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
I'm guessing this will be at least $500 given nVidia's new "squeeze them till they bleed" pricing strategy, that given I will be waiting for at least 50 series if not 60 series. If nvidia have Doubled (or more) the price of 60 series cards, I and I suspect many others will have to keep the cards twice as long. For me that prob means skipping two generations rather than 1....

hannibal

Distinguished
Most likely 8Gb to 4060 in anyway. If the memory buss is again narrower than before. And 4060ti... it depends on what chip is is using. If same as 4070.. then 12gb is possible. If not it also will have 8Gb of vram... 16Gb not likely in anyway.

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Most likely 8Gb to 4060 in anyway. If the memory buss is again narrower than before. And 4060ti... it depends on what chip is is using. If same as 4070.. then 12gb is possible. If not it also will have 8Gb of vram... 16Gb not likely in anyway.

I wouldnt by another card with less than 12GB for any price let alone £500+

Reactions: SSGBryan

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah,,, And still Nvidia outsell AMD by more than douple… allmost triple…
Sigh… as long as people don´t learn, Nvidia can sell these in tons…
If AMD fails to lead on performance, fails to lead on features, fails to compete on driver and hardware stability, the only thing it has left to compete on is performance per dollar and it won't even do that by any substantial margins at most price points. I hope Intel gets its GPU act together and forces AMD to wake up before the lack of remotely affordable GPUs ends PC gaming for half the market.

TRENDING THREADS