News Nvidia's grasp of desktop GPU market balloons to 88% — AMD has just 12%, Intel negligible, says JPR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thunder64

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Yes and no, they still need to make money and some of these card are not cheap to make. Also there was a time (still is really) that you could get an RX 6600 (XT) for MUCH less than an RTX 3060, it didnt matter. The RTX 3060 still heavily outsold it even though the RX 6600 was the better deal. Nvidia has excellent mind share right now, and pricing alone isn't going to break that.

Just like the 1050 Ti outselling the much better RX 580 before that. Didn't matter. Why take a hit on margins if you practicaly have to give them away?

You mean the best GPU ever made? And not by a little. It's only a bad card if you ignore performance. :)

In the whole of history of history there has never been anything like the 4090. The connector failures and other quality issues are true though. There is some risk involved.
Also, Cities Skylines 2 is gonna chugg but that's just a universal law at this point.

I personally wouldn't go as far as the 4090 because i don't need that kind of performance. A 7800Xt or 7900GRE is probably the most anyone sane needs, but gaming and sanity never really met.
Some people want pure power, even if in the 40XX lineup, the 4070 Ti Super is already plenty of power and expensive enough.

And the "lowly" 4060 got ridiculed a lot but it's dangerously close to being competent for all but the most demanding games at 1440p Ultra+
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah. I'd nominate the 9700 Pro, 8800GT, and 1080 Ti before the 4090.

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
Still have my Sapphire HD6950 2GB. It's used daily and still works to this day.

Oh, that takes me back :)

I bought my MSI Radeon HD 6950 back in 2011, flashed its BIOS and turned it into a 6970.

Unfortunately, it died out in 2019.

But it did create some happy gaming memories for me, along the way :)

Reactions: artk2219

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Just like the 1050 Ti outselling the much better RX 580 before that. Didn't matter. Why take a hit on margins if you practicaly have to give them away?

Nah. I'd nominate the 9700 Pro, 8800GT, and 1080 Ti before the 4090.
Sorry, i meant of all time, not it's own generation. That might actualy be debatable.

Thunder64

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Sorry, i meant of all time, not it's own generation. That might actualy be debatable.

I am talking about all time as well. The 9700 Pro was great against inferior competition that slowed to a crawl in DX 9. The 8800 GT obsoleted Nvidia's slightly faster GPU by being half the price. The 1080 Ti has aged very well.

The 4090 is excellent and should age well. But its price / performance compared to the others isn't as good. It also had some slight teething issues. Don't get me wrong it is clearly a great card, as it costs more to get one now than at launch. IMHO though it would be a bad purchase today with next gen so close.

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
Case in point: I once purchased an ATI 4890 as an upgrade for my aging 7800 GTX. The software never installed right as the GUI kept crashing; I had to install via command line. Oh, and the card outright died after 5 months of moderate use.

So yeah, that experience going away from NVIDIA as well as the continued reports of software problems (let alone no access to DLSS and the like) are reasons why I don't even consider an AMD GPU. Heck, it took until just last year for me to even consider one of their CPUs (due to Intel clearly being behind nowadays).
One bad experience when switching to AMD (ATI back then)? The 4890 is from like 15 years ago, so how do you judge the Radeon line based on that?

Hey it's all good though, most of that 88% market share probably doesn't consider AMD discrete GPU's for the things you listed and what anyone else said in this thread. I will just tell you all that in my experience, I haven't had any better experiences switching from red to green than red to green. Overall, over the course of about 25 years of PC building and gaming in my life, nVidia hasn't had anything that was truly above and beyond my experiences with ATI/AMD.

Anyone telling me there's basically only one contender in the PC gaming market is basically a GPU supremacist. Think about it.

@JarrodWaltonGPU: 50% is a best-case-scenario number, correct? I don't see Ada being that much more efficient than RDNA3. Is this with no fake frames? Yes, I agree that AMD lost ground on perf-per-watt from RDNA2 going to RDNA3 relative to nVidia... just kind of one of those first-gen teething problems as we probably remember that commercially-available RDNA3 performed somewhere between 20-30% lower than what AMD was expecting prior to launch. Some problem with the chiplet architecture. And regardless, we all know most game devs are going to optimize for nVidia's architechures being that nVidia has been a clear market share leader for almost a decade now. The usual case of the market leader staying the market leader because they are the market leader is such a boring song and dance, truly.

Lamarr the Strelok

Prominent
Sep 29, 2022
I had trouble with Amd when they were ATI. On my x 1300 I fished out of a dumpster.And survived being submerged in water after a flood.That was about 20 years ago. The last 4 years I have had no more problems with their drivers as I would have had with nvidia
I have no need for ray tracing. Devs have been doing fine the last 30 years on lighting.I start the Shadow of tomb raider benchmark and it's gorgeous.It's close enough to real as I need. Nvidia have generally been more power efficient on raster and tracing ,I believe. Maybe a couple bucks more in the USA in electricity .
Nvidia has amazing tech but they are dirt bags.
AMD software for my rx 570 8GB VRAM has been perfect. Tons of settings and great system monitoring.

Last edited:
It's been said before: AMD's simply pricing their cards too close to nVidia now to be a viable ground gainer. There's nothing to entice existing nVidia users to AMD, and there's little to keep existing AMD customers from switching if they are fed up with AMD for some reason or want nVidia specific features.

Reactions: valthuer

Thunder64

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
It's been said before: AMD's simply pricing their cards too close to nVidia now to be a viable ground gainer. There's nothing to entice existing nVidia users to AMD, and there's little to keep existing AMD customers from switching if they are fed up with AMD for some reason or want nVidia specific features.

Besides the two examples on the previous page (buying 3050/3060 over RX 6600, buying 1050 Ti over RX 580), I think that most people that want AMD/Intel to be more competitive or drop prices just really want a cheaper Nvidia card.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
My whole attitude with GPU purchases is to buy one that will pretty much guarantee it will play whatever games I purchase at the resolution and refresh rate of my monitor at a decent frame rate. With the addition of HDR, my 4K 120 Hz screen dictated a very beefy card. My first ASUS TUF RTX 4090 (I REALLY miss EVGA) worked so well that I upgraded two more machines used by my family to the same monitor and with the ASUS 4090 graphics cards. They were a LOT more than I was expecting to pay, but the 4090 handles everything I have thrown at it with aplomb.
In order to prevent any power issues, I replaced my 5-year-old power supplies to a 850 Watt with a proper single power cable with the power sensing pins. I put 90 degree power adapters on to prevent any sideways pull on the card's (delicate?) power receptacle. Finally, I got three support rods to prevent these heavy and long cards from sagging. I don't bother to overclock as they work just fine as they came from ASUS.
As for AMD, I have never purchased one (an ATI card way back when) as my many, many NVIDIA cards have been reliable and the firmware and software works well with games over the past decades.
With NVIDIA in the news all the time now, AMD is fighting more against a brand name more than performance or cost. I would put out a very good performing AMD graphics card for the low end and use a break even price just to get folks buying my cards to stay in the game and get market share.

Thunder64

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
With NVIDIA in the news all the time now, AMD is fighting more against a brand name more than performance or cost. I would put out a very good performing AMD graphics card for the low end and use a break even price just to get folks buying my cards to stay in the game and get market share.

How well is that working out for Intel? Their die sizes are absolutely massive for the (lack of) performance you get. They can't possibly be making much on them. Still no real market share.

Reactions: jlake3 and artk2219
The sad part is that AMD cards are more efficient and run cooler, but until they fix their buggy software drivers no one will care.
Nobody who has a clue has problems with Radeon drivers. I've used exclusively Radeon since 2008. Do you think that I would've done that if I encountered the driver problems that so many noobs cry about? Absolutely not.
Case in point: I once purchased an ATI 4890 as an upgrade for my aging 7800 GTX. The software never installed right as the GUI kept crashing; I had to install via command line. Oh, and the card outright died after 5 months of moderate use.
There's a flip side to that and it's the reason I never overreact to getting a defective product.

Case in point: I once purchased an XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB to replace my Palit 8500 GT 1GB. I was so enamoured with it that I bought a second one for Crossfire. I loved that so much that I replaced them with twin Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970s, also in Crossfire. I replaced those with a Sapphire R9 Fury (and added another just because I got it for like >$200 CAD). I replaced those with an XFX 5700 XT Triple-Dissipation that turned out to be defective. XFX replaced it with another defective card, much to my frustration and disappointment. Then XFX made good by upgrading me to a THICC-III model which has worked ever since. I then replaced that with an ATi RX 6800 XT OG Reference. In all that time, I have never had any major driver issues, nor have I ever been dissatisfied with the performance that my Radeons gave me.

I have become so comfortable owning Radeons that I didn't bat an eyelid when I saw a great price on an (now my) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC. I just bought it and the good times haven't stopped. I still have no real issues with the drivers and I'm happy as a clam.

Noobs always seem to the ones who have the worst time switching from one brand to the other. Fortunately for me, my noob years were between 1988 and 1992 (although my first card in 1988 was an ATi EGA Wonder).
So yeah, that experience going away from NVIDIA as well as the continued reports of software problems (let alone no access to DLSS and the like) are reasons why I don't even consider an AMD GPU. Heck, it took until just last year for me to even consider one of their CPUs (due to Intel clearly being behind nowadays).
Your narrow-minded view of things helps noone but hurts you. You've already paid way too much over the years which is bad enough but what's even worse is that your mindset is the one that has nVidia in their near-monopoly position.

It's quite clear that you never grew out of your noob phase because only noobs buy by brand. Real experts buy by specification and price. That's just how it is.
Those free 3090s and 4090s given to all influencers have provided some sweet results.
Of course. When the audience sees that's what the influencers are using... well, it's "monkey-see, monkey-do", eh? :giggle:
Only a few AMD architectures have been more efficient than Nvidia's competing architectures in recent history, and temperatures are more about firmware and fan speed curves than anything. Basically, you should only look at performance and power use with temperature being a factor of the specific card(s) you're looking at rather than the architecture as a whole.

The RX 6000-series tended to use slightly less power than the RTX 30-series, but even RDNA 2 vs. Ampere wasn't always a win. Navi 33 GPUs for example tended to use more power proportionally compared with the higher tier Navi 32 and Navi 31 cards.

But at present? Ada currently blows AMD efficiency away, in terms of FPS/W. RTX 40-series GPUs are roughly 50% higher performance per watt than RDNA 3. GPU chiplets certainly didn't help AMD's efficiency use case, probably contributing at least 10-20 watts to power draw is my guess. It would have been interesting to see what RDNA 3 as a monolithic chip on TSMC N5 could have done, but that was not the goal.
And yet, some "techxperts" are still recommending Intel CPUs despite having an even bigger power use gulf than between Radeon and GeForce.
I brought some Radeon 6000 series graphics cards about 1.5 years ago when the price of these things are affordable. Let's face it, AMD and Nvidia are making hand over fist selling AI accelerators and has little incentive to make improvements of their graphics card lineup.
Yeah but if you just buy nVidia, one day there will be only nVidia left and you'll really get raked over Jensen's coals and it will be far too late to do anything about it. It's kinda like the story of the grasshopper and the ant. The ant sees the big picture and the grasshopper is so self-centred that he can't see past his own nose. Red ants, green grasshoppers, there's a moral in there somewhere. ;)
Can't comment on that, but I wasn't mentioning the 4090 card here specifically. I was just referring to Nvidia's "ADA Lovelace" architecture in general. I'm happy with my RTX 4060 card though.

Never faced any serious issues with it till now. Just because some of the flagship GPUs are plagued by issues, doesn't mean the entire 40-series lineup is in the same boat, IMO.
No, but since people look at the 4090's performance and assume that the entire 40-series lineup is in the same boat, it's fair. Stupid is as stupid does and you can't fix stupid.
AMD sells no card because they aligned on Nvidia’s pricing. Nobody is gonna prefer (except Linux users) to get a AMD for the same price per perf as a NV…
^^^^ Facts Right There! ^^^^
They should sell them literally half price, and there, it would become very attractive. Not the best drivers, not the best software ecosystem but a better hardware for a good price that would trigger a switch…
It sounds good on paper but it wouldn't work because nVidia would just lower their prices to the point that AMD's pricing would make no difference. Remember, most people buy nVidia out of fear and ignorance which means that they wouldn't be swayed by a cheaper Radeon and AMD would just be kneecapping itself because it would have less money for R&D and wouldn't be able to keep up with nVidia.
But it seems that they prefer to sell nothing with high margins rather than a lot with lower margins…
It seems that way, but their margins would be far worse in your scenario because despite everything, there are still a lot of people who default to Radeon. I should know because I'm one of them:
almost-full-video-card-collection-jpg.311880

AMD sells no card because they aligned on Nvidia’s pricing. Nobody is gonna prefer (except Linux users) to get a AMD for the same price per perf as a NV…

They should sell them literally half price, and there, it would become very attractive. Not the best drivers, not the best software ecosystem but a better hardware for a good price that would trigger a switch…

But it seems that they prefer to sell nothing with high margins rather than a lot with lower margins…
engaging price war with nvidia is never a winning battle for AMD. at best they can defend their market share and then their market share still slowly erode. remember 5700XT jebait? when they launch the card AMD had 30% market share. a year later their market share was down by 20%. by the time RDNA 2 launched AMD market share was down to 16%.

as for margin it is not about lower margin. if AMD try to lower their price more then they will have to sell at cost. 7800 XT was very late because of things like this. back then Igor's Lab said even at $600 probably would meant the card will be sell at cost. 5nm and those more complex MCM package end up being very expensive for AMD. AMD did not even dare to use 5nm with RX 7600.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Nobody who has a clue has problems with Radeon drivers. I've used exclusively Radeon since 2008. Do you think that I would've done that if I encountered the driver problems that so many noobs cry about? Absolutely not.
It's an old tale. People believe it without too much thought.
And yet, some "techxperts" are still recommending Intel CPUs despite having an even bigger power use gulf than between Radeon and GeForce.
Speaking of...
I am talking about all time as well.
No, you're talking about in it's own time. I'm saying the 4090 is more powerful than anything that's ever come out. Which is obvious, but someone called it out for being the dirt worst of all time which is just wrong.

Yeah, the technical issues aren't nothing, and it's mad expensive, but it brings the performance like nothing else, ever.

The way things are looking, it's only a matter of time before nVidia's GPU monopoly becomes absolute. People don't seem to realise (or care) that we're all screwed when that happens.
nvidia dominate because they have the clear advantage over AMD in semi pro market. and it is semi pro crowd that actually saves this generation for nvidia. gamer? gamer right now buy less regardless they were on PC or console.

Thunder64

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
No, you're talking about in it's own time. I'm saying the 4090 is more powerful than anything that's ever come out. Which is obvious, but someone called it out for being the dirt worst of all time which is just wrong.

That's just twisting words around. If what you said was true then every "Best Ever" list would be stacked with the latest hardware. Tom's even did a list of best of all time Nvidia and AMD cards. Not a single 4000 series card was on their list.

They also did worst of all time. That one does contain a 4000 series GPU. I guess you would say the 1080 Ti should be on there too since it is far slower than a 4090. Best of all time considers more than raw performance. Value, competition at the time, etc come in to play.

MergleBergle

Prominent
Dec 1, 2022
The sad part is that AMD cards are more efficient and run cooler, but until they fix their buggy software drivers no one will care.
I don't have current hardware, but everything I've read says current gen NV cards are more energy efficient. Having said that, I've never had issues with AMD drivers, and the one NV card I had was buggy as hell. Haven't gone back. Just personal experience. I should add that, for me, raytracing isn't a huge priority at the moment. I'm a casual gamer, with an older system. By the time it becomes truly mainstream, NV might still be in the lead, but it may not be by much. Raster is just fine for me atm ;)

Last edited:

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
The way things are looking, it's only a matter of time before nVidia's GPU monopoly becomes absolute. People don't seem to realise (or care) that we're all screwed when that happens.
Yes, what are we going to do without videocards with a 10% discount compared to nvidia? We are doomed, doomed I tell you.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
Besides the two examples on the previous page (buying 3050/3060 over RX 6600, buying 1050 Ti over RX 580), I think that most people that want AMD/Intel to be more competitive or drop prices just really want a cheaper Nvidia card.
Back when AMD (well, ATI) made good cards the market was almost 50/50 split. Nobody wants "a cheaper nvidia card". Give me a competitive card in all aspects, ill buy it, whether it's from intel amd or nvidia.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
Oh really? Ok, please go play Divine Divinity on your AMD card and come back to share your experience.

Needless to say i'm running driver only - no radeon software - on my laptop because the damn freaking thing wakes up the dGPU constantly ruining battery life. Needless to say that im using drivers from 2022 cause the latest ones cause major stuttering when dGPU is enabled in the desktop, making the laptop literally unusable. Yeah, great drivers bud.

My 6700xt died with 13 months of use..
Brought a 4060ti 16gb...
Don't have coil wine, almost 100w droop of the wall. Don't heat the entire bed room...
Yeah amd is great, for the poor
Why didn't you just RMA the 6700 xt? Sure I get the less power usage, the 4060 ti is a newer card, with a newer architecture, on a newer process, and it sucks about the coil whine, but an RMA earlier could have fixed that too. Not every card is a winner, I've had to RMA cards from just about every manufacturer, including the mythical EVGA. Everyone makes a dud every now and again.

Have you looked at AMD's financials lately?! They can't afford to sell their cards, or CPUs for that matter, any cheaper, they can barely afford to sell them now.
Oh really? Ok, please go play Divine Divinity on your AMD card and come back to share your experience.

Needless to say i'm running driver only - no radeon software - on my laptop because the damn freaking thing wakes up the dGPU constantly ruining battery life. Needless to say that im using drivers from 2022 cause the latest ones cause major stuttering when dGPU is enabled in the desktop, making the laptop literally unusable. Yeah, great drivers bud.
Eh, just use software render instead of d3d, your PC is strong enough, it runs fine.
Also laptop drivers are terrible because the OEM has to figure stuff out and they never do more than the bare minimum, this is not an AMD driver issue, you can have an nvidia laptop having similar issues.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
Eh, just use software render instead of d3d, your PC is strong enough, it runs fine.
Also laptop drivers are terrible because the OEM has to figure stuff out and they never do more than the bare minimum, this is not an AMD driver issue, you can have an nvidia laptop having similar issues.
Running software means bypassing the GPU, which is my point. It just DOESNT work on AMD gpus. It's not the only game btw, there are countless of them and they don't all have the software option.

And no, im using the normal AMD drivers - not some OEM custom stuff. Matter of fact the OEM custom stuff is the only driver that works fine - problem is it hasn't been renewed for 2 years now so latest games just refuse to work.