News Nvidia's ICAT Streamlines Image Quality Comparisons, but Results Are Still 'Fuzzy'

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
I am not sure of what is was supposed to convince me, but seeing all images side by side just convince me that FSR is as good as DLSS, unless you're the kind of gamer who stick its nose to the screen for minutes to explore all minute details of the background

Reactions: hotaru251
I am not sure of what is was supposed to convince me, but seeing all images side by side just convince me that FSR is as good as DLSS, unless you're the kind of gamer who stick its nose to the screen for minutes to explore all minute details of the background
pretty much. i could understand some games being more noticeable, but most liekly wont even notice.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
In my opinion, if the end user don't find an issue with the image quality, then I think the technology has served its purpose. After all, people tend to use the likes of FSR or DLSS when they want more frame rates in a certain title. There is no perfect image whether we are running at native or upscaled images. So I certainly don't see the point of putting quality of the image under a microscope all the time and keep trying to compare them.

Reactions: twotwotwo

twotwotwo

Honorable
Aug 10, 2019
What I take from it is 1) NVIDIA probably has the more true-to-the-original upscaling tech, or they wouldn't have released a pixel-peeping tool and 2) if you need a tool like this to see the difference, maybe the differences aren't that important to most. The bigger picture thing here is that going from 1440 to 4K or such, the improvement for most people is sharp lines or a sense of texture, not getting more information from the image, and relatively simple filters can maintain that.

Improvements on this kind of tech are still useful, but the win is more from getting by with fewer pixels, or fixing the remaining glitches that actually stand out, or better fitting the tradeoffs to what users want (e.g. keep the best quality you can but keep X framerate). Removing stuff you can only see with freeze-frame and zoom doesn't make that much difference to folks.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Forza Horizon 5 doesn't have FSR. The performance modes are just a resolution slider with less settings. So it just lowers rendering resolution, it DOESN'T do any scaling of the image.