News Nvidia's New RTX 2060 12GB Declares War On Miners: Report

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
I don't know whether to laugh or curse or be grateful for Nvidia. On one hand this is a very needed GPU to fill the needs of a lot of people, but Turing? And will the 12GB of VRAM actually benefit games (assuming the bandwidth stays the same, they could raise it easily though)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Is the hash rate REALLY low enough to deter miners, though?

I mean, check out the prices for used RX 570 and 580 cards, and the Vega cards. They're worse than during the original cryptocraze. Those don't have higher hash rates than a 2060, do they?

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Is the hash rate REALLY low enough to deter miners, though?

I mean, check out the prices for used RX 570 and 580 cards, and the Vega cards. They're worse than during the original cryptocraze. Those don't have higher hash rates than a 2060, do they?
It’s not low enough. I just placed an order for the first 10,000 units... Maybe nVidia should re-release the GeForce 3 Ti 500. Gamers could rock the DX8 classics like BF2 and Ghost Recon.

Mar 25, 2021
Nicehash shows the current 2060 makes ~$2.33/day. So with current rates, until mining is not as profitable, this will be a ~$550 to $600 card, unless you can get one direct from retail, which seems unlikely with the usual suspects rushing to get them.

I've gone integrated graphics (5600G), and even for my gaming its not half bad. Turn a few settings down and i have a cheaper, low power decent gaming system that is quieter to boot.
Maybe once these come out, Intel releases their cards and ethereum changes over the market will finally be saturated again and we can pick up some discounts... Or the next gen RDNA 2 APU's with DDR 5 could come out and make low/entry level graphics entirely a thing of the past....

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
This card has a gaming value street price of $250 maybe. But it will sell at retail for twice that or more.
Miners are going to snap these up as they are as hungry for cards as anyone else is and as far as nvidia or other card manufacturers care, money is as good from whoever is standing in line to pay.

Nov 16, 2021
I fully agree with JamesSneed and other posters above. Nvidia don't care how their cards are used, but what they do want to do is sell as many GPUs as possible. Using TSMC's 12nm process allows them to churn these out alongside the 30-series cards.

I've seen an MSRP listed for the 2060 12GB of $300/£300. The RTX 3060 Ti LHR cards are flying off the shelves here in the UK for £600 (MSRP £369). They can do around 45 MH/s for ETH. So 2060 12GB cards at £300 will instantly sell out, and using the relative price of the 3060 Ti as a guide, I suspect the 2060 12GB will end up at around £450 for a good deal. Scalped price will be £500+

Mar 25, 2021
Yea, actually if these lack a new LHR on them, that will make them relatively MORE attractive to miners than 30 series RTX. Well, looks like they will be roughly equivalent to 3060 with LHR mining wise... that is IF the memory speeds/bandwidth are not boosted in any way on the new 12gb models...

Nov 16, 2021
Even if Nvidia put LHR on them the large 12GB memory means you can more easily dual mine two cryptos at once (being able to easily fit two DAGs into memory) and thereby 100% bypassing LHR. This is not war on miners, not even close.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
fun to see. if the hash rate not profitable we as a gamer will have stocks everywhere but at the same time crypto will be meaningless which crypto whale will not permit that.
i guess we might never get gaming card anymore. perhaps this is the time when SOC boom with better performance.

hannibal

Distinguished
Miners don't need any more cards. They bought them all already. :D

Miners always need more card. If this card can produce profit, it is better to own a lot of them...
And that is the problem. You mine, you get profit, you can buy more gpus to get even more profit... until you no longer get profit... So in the far future as long as the mining is profitable, more and more and more gpus goes to mining. There is no limit as long as it is profitable.

scottsoapbox

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
My 2070 makes about $2-3/day so I would guess a 2060 would be in the $1-2/day range which is borderline for mining. That would probably translate into a $300-500 pricing in the current crazy market.

nvidia launching a "new" old gpu + gigabyte + miners + cryptocurrencie all in the same note... thats scary.

Perhaps if miners are scared of exploding Gigabyte's PSU, maybe there are a few left for gamers?

Lame, really lame to be reading this stuff ater +two years of the release of the original RTX 2060.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Miners always need more card. If this card can produce profit, it is better to own a lot of them...
And that is the problem. You mine, you get profit, you can buy more gpus to get even more profit... until you no longer get profit... So in the far future as long as the mining is profitable, more and more and more gpus goes to mining. There is no limit as long as it is profitable.
Which is why I'm puzzled when some people say mining isn't the cause of the shortages. Sure, it's not solely responsible, but it's part of the storm.

More people seem to be taking interest in it as time goes on. 10 years from now, we'll probably all be miners...
Can't beat 'em, join 'em. Resistance is futile...

Latest posts