News Nvidia's Quarterly Revenue Hits All-Time High of $7.1 Billion

sstanic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2016
so yeah, it's nvidia selling us graphics cards at 2x the MSRP since the (almost) beginning. they should write a huge thank you christmas card to the scalpers, who pushed them there.

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
NVDA growth is purely based on high flying GPU price, but it is just a fad or temporary ( granted it was for more than a year now), when other suppliers, like Intel and AMD and the Chinese supplier coming into the market in the next month or two, latest is in 1Q22, the price of GPU will be normalized, then NVDA's growth will be zero or negative. Intel's HPC graphic, like Pointe Vecchio or Alchemist, is shipping to Argon lab now, should be a killer for NVDA's growth. For a PE of 95+, the analysts are still piling onto NVDA, it is time to be cautious.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
so yeah, it's nvidia selling us graphics cards at 2x the MSRP since the (almost) beginning. they should write a huge thank you christmas card to the scalpers, who pushed them there.

NVDA growth is purely based on high flying GPU price, but it is just a fad or temporary ( granted it was for more than a year now), when other suppliers, like Intel and AMD and the Chinese supplier coming into the market in the next month or two
How is AMD not currently in the GPU market?

AMD Leads Yearly Semiconductor Revenue Growth Forecast by 65%; Intel Shrinks by 1%

Interesting how this just posted news article isn't inundated with people ripping AMD for jacking up prices on everything and completely abandoning the low end market. Their prices have increased even more than Nvidia's. AMD should be renamed Teflon. Doesn't matter what they do, they will be defended at all costs while other companies get trashed for doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
@Spongie This article is about Nvidia's profits, not AMD. I don't think people are avoiding AMD here; it's just that they are staying on topic with the subject of the article here - Nvidia.

I also think AMD is sinking all of their low-end efforts into getting more GPUs/SOCs for consoles rather than pushing out < 6600-level products. But that's meandering off-topic here. :)

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
@Spongie This article is about Nvidia's profits, not AMD. I don't think people are avoiding AMD here; it's just that they are staying on topic with the subject of the article here - Nvidia.
I wasn't talking about this thread. I was talking about the thread I linked to which conspicuously has no one taking shots at AMD for their higher prices like Nvidia took in the first 2 post in this one.

sstanic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2016
well it's a fairly easy answer - it's not the same at all, it's an apples to oranges kind of comparison.

nvidia's GPU segment growth is explained in this article, while in the other article it's not exactly hinted that AMD's projected growth is based on GPUs.

also AMD's growth isn't based on 2x prices, console APUs and their EPYCs and Ryzens are good value products, and are sold at MSRP and use sockets/memory/MBs that are reusable and are not ripping off any category of clients.

so it's growth based on innovation AND good value, while nvidia's GPU segment growth is based on innovation and doubling of the price 'coz they can.

there's more, in the last several months it has also been written - where I don't remember - that AMD has used most of their wafers at TSMC for everything except GPUs, consoles were and are a big deal, EPYC is "the" product for them, now and in the future, and lower end Ryzens weren't made much either. even AMD kind of confessed to it recently if I remember correctly, saying that their GPUs will now finally be available, because for many months since their introduction they weren't available at all, nevermind the price. whether they're selling them at MSRP - I sincerely doubt that - but I just don't know. since the introduction of 3080/90/ti and 6800/900/xt I kind of think nvidia outsold AMD like 29 to 1.

nvidia on the other hand, has more/enough wafers available and a better product, myself I am still hoping to buy a 3080/ti/super? at a more normal price 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Important to note that a lot of the mark-up happens after the tray of GPUs has been sold to a board partner. Then you have the components suppliers (memory being a big one), increased tariffs (in the case of the US), increased shipping costs. People are complaining that the low end GPUs are more expensive, going to be the new normal even after the scalping happens. There isn't any margin left in sub-$300 GPUs at the moment.

Newegg Shuffle is how I got my 3080Ti, FTW3 was one of the more expensive ones, but got it at retail MSRP. Haven't seen many decently priced one since. The new SKUs are all priced a few hundred over that.