News Nvidia's Revenue Drops Further, But Demand for Ada GPUs Exceeds Supply

peachpuff

Reputable
Apr 6, 2021
Sending thoughts and prayers to jensen...

violin-tiny.gif

InvalidError

Titan
Not so long ago, Nvidia's datacenter revenues were less than half of gaming, now gaming is projected to be half as good a revenue source as datacenter within the next year. Its customer priority inversion is now complete, gaming is officially where Nvidia's dumps its wafer scraps after datacenter got its fill and gamers are stuck having to pay for the privilege of getting those scraps unless more viable and less greedy alternatives appear to pick up the slack.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Not so long ago, Nvidia's datacenter revenues were less than half of gaming, now gaming is projected to be half as good a revenue source as datacenter within the next year. Its customer priority inversion is now complete, gaming is officially where Nvidia's dumps its wafer scraps after datacenter got its fill and gamers are stuck having to pay for the privilege of getting those scraps unless more viable and less greedy alternatives appear to pick up the slack.
Any profit making company will focus their resources on what delivers the best return on investment. So nothing surprising about Nvidia's action. I feel the same can be said of AMD focusing on the data center business over retail CPU market. But with Intel entering the same data center GPU business as Nvidia, this should give Nvidia some competition.

Sending thoughts and prayers to jensen...

violin-tiny.gif
Thank you for the good laugh. Don't forget his leather jackets.

As for the report itself. Well, it's a tough time for most PC markets, I'd say? I mean, the UK just reported a 11.1% increase in cost of living (inflation), so that's about 11.1% less money you can't dedicate to gadgets and other "fun" stuff. The rest of the world in which most tech Companies deal in are not that much better either.

Making GPUs so expensive is really strange in this economic climate. I guess they'll bank on the margins and not volume during these times?

Regards.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
I miss the days of 60 class <$250 GPUs you could pick up at MSRP

I don't think AMD board partners are going to sell at $999 price point. They will see the potential of margin given the rumored performance. You'll be damn lucky to find one at $999 for the first year.

I know someone who is a hard core computer enthusiast who makes $250k/year. He's saying "That's just f'ing stupid."

Intel is not a viable competitor yet. Even though the A770 has some perks like av1 and its price, it has one huge drawback.

Intel's commitment to money losing ventures is limited. Their history is telling. Rumors are circulating that the desktop gpu market is dead at Intel. So it's likely a dead man walking.

Intel will never admit to abandoning consumer space as it will leave them with a ton of inventory no one will touch. When Battle Mage comes out or Celestial, I might consider it a safe investment and not throw away money.

Reactions: bigdragon

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
whatever happening to the GPU market, it is down for NVDA, and the same for all suppliers; there is no chance NVDA will have any revenue growth in the data center or the gaming market in the current market environment, or even next year, as Intel is working hard to build it fab and design in these fields; it is almost sure Intel will win with the government support, both AMD and NVDA will suffer, so will be TSMC. Intel will gain customer from TSMC soon. I am sorry, those analysts were speculating that NVDA or AMD will have any growth is just speculation, there is no fact to it. I am sorry.

gpu

hannibal

Distinguished
I miss the days of 60 class <$250 GPUs you could pick up at MSRP

I don't think AMD board partners are going to sell at $999 price point. They will see the potential of margin given the rumored performance. You'll be damn lucky to find one at $999 for the first year.

Most likely only AMD reference and some AIB models that you don´t see in shops after first 2 minutes...
7900XTX models are rumored to use same huge coolers than 4090 models, so they will be expensive! I am guite sure that Asus strix will be near $1800 or more... If they are fast enough.