News Nvidia's RTX 3000 Power Supply Requirements Amp Up Shortage Concerns

Sep 16, 2020
I'm replacing SLI r9-380s at near 200w each.
Ryzen 5
And I'm on a 550w..
Case isn't stuffed full of RGB and spinning rust, so it'll be fine.

Are you suggesting in this article that NVidia’s recommendation is wrong? The NVidia 750w recommendation for 3080/3090 and 650w for 3070 is already based on running an i9 10900k. NVidia actually state

“2 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration.“

If you view the full spec here https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/

Last edited:

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Are you suggesting in this article that NVidia’s recommendation is wrong? ... based on running an i9 10900k. ...
While not necessarily "wrong" it's definitely very cautious.
With stock settings the tester at Sweclockers measured that the entire system pulled 415W from the wall socket at full load (running Metro Exodus). Shouldn't amount to more than 450W when really pushing it and then a little more peak.
Thus a 550W power supply of modern design should have no problem handling the load!
EDIT: (addition) Hardware Unboxed measured ~600W from the wall in a similar situation, so 750W or so could be a minimum that should fit all.

Overclocking will of course increase the power draw a bit, say an additional 100W.

The recommended 850W apply if a) the computer is essentially running at full load all the time while on, or b) the PSU is an older design that can't deliver (near) its full combined rating on the 12V line alone.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
They do have to be cautious, both in not knowing what CPU and other components may be in your system, and in not knowing whether the user is getting a high quality unit, something mediocre, or something on the questionable side.

w_o_t_q

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
Only problem with PSU is that delivery is longer. I live in Europe and delivery from main Polish suppliers is not 3 days but 10 due to the border crossing time increase. The price again the same, recently bought a nice 750w 14 cm vent PSU for just 33 EUR around 35-37 USD. Ok it not modular, but it will cower most use cases. Buy as spare part for backup ... Problems have only American brands which was stupid enough to outsource productions to f** china companies ... and then after general warning about the unsafe enviroment there not move it Vjetnam/Indonesia ...

SFX PSUs have been hard to get for a while now, and the Corsair SF750 extremely so.

I'm continuing to roll with my SF600 and my low-power 3700X. If I actually could have gotten a 3080, I would have kept the SF600 with it. Total load should be ~500-550W, definitely something the SF600 can handle.

Now, if I had an overclocked Intel CPU, I probably would be looking for some way to shoehorn an ATX PSU into my mini-ITX case. No way I would be able to get a SF750 now!

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
The PSU recommendations are on the high end especially if you have a high quality PSU. However with that said I would follow them as they likely nail the efficiency curve of PSU's pretty well.
What if I have a Seasonic Titanium. I got a 650 watt. Now i have no plans for either a 3080 nor 3070 but with a Ryzen 3700 i wonder if I could power a 3080 for games and no overclocking.

Are these recommendations for non efficient PSU's or a specific efficiency, e.g. bronze?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
SFX PSUs have been hard to get for a while now, and the Corsair SF750 extremely so.

I'm continuing to roll with my SF600 and my low-power 3700X. If I actually could have gotten a 3080, I would have kept the SF600 with it. Total load should be ~500-550W, definitely something the SF600 can handle.

Now, if I had an overclocked Intel CPU, I probably would be looking for some way to shoehorn an ATX PSU into my mini-ITX case. No way I would be able to get a SF750 now!

I remember Silverstone made 800 watts SFX , cooler master made 850 watts SFX as well.

Edit :

Edit :

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=731&area=en

What if I have a Seasonic Titanium. I got a 650 watt. Now i have no plans for either a 3080 nor 3070 but with a Ryzen 3700 i wonder if I could power a 3080 for games and no overclocking.

Are these recommendations for non efficient PSU's or a specific efficiency, e.g. bronze?

You could at least with the the stock 3080 FE card as it pulls under 350watts. The 3700x is about 150watts. I would have no issues ruining those with a very high end 650watt PSU like you have.

Reactions: Soaptrail