News Nvidia's RTX 3090 Has Apparently Sold More Units Than AMD's Entire RX 6000 Series Lineup

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You can't buy any Nvidia or AMD GPUs right now unless you're an industry insider because they are selling all of their production to the crypto miners. Yes, you could buy the ones that are being sold for 3-6 times the MSRP, but who in their right mind would do that?

Reactions: Jim90 and Krotow
Steam hasn't asked me to participate in their survey after I got my 6900XT, or my Vega64... I don't know why, but that's what is my personal experience. I was asked once with my RX480 and my GF that has a RX580 has never been surveyed by Steam.

I'm also keen on supporting the theory of the net cafes and other "shared" types of PCs using nVidia primarily.

Regards.

Steam hasn't asked me to participate in their survey after I got my 6900XT, or my Vega64... I don't know why, but that's what is my personal experience. I was asked once with my RX480 and my GF that has a RX580 has never been surveyed by Steam.

Steam doesn't ask. They already receive basic system information when client log into their servers.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I would assume they use some (pseudo) random sampling, the same as any other survey. So how often any individual gets surveyed depends on Steam's goals for their survey error margins and how many active users they have.

I would assume they use some (pseudo) random sampling, the same as any other survey. So how often any individual gets surveyed depends on Steam's goals for their survey error margins and how many active users they have.
That's how it should be done, but I can say that I always seem to get sampled when I'm running new/odd GPUs. Like when I tested Intel's DG1, up popped the HW survey. Could just be random luck, but if Valve is doing real random sampling, it should just say so. That it doesn't makes me suspicious.
No surprise, because most of Ampere cards was shipped directly to mining farms.
Ah, yes. The mining farms that apparently then participated in the Steam HW Survey! I'm pretty sure it's mostly the AMD and Nvidia AIB partners selling direct to mining farms, and I suspect they do so with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs. When you can't buy as many GPUs as you'd like, you'll take whatever's available.

Aug 4, 2021
That just means Nvidia is manufacturing 11 times more GPUs than AMD. Given that you can't buy any GPU at msrp tells me these numbers don't represent consumer preference, just that neither company can meet the demand for their cards. I've wanted to buy an RX 6800 for months, but they aren't available. If AMD were suddenly able to produce 11 times more cards than they are now, would they all sell? Quite likely.

Reactions: madmatt30

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Because Nvidia GPU card manufacturers sold their cards to miners by entire pallets. Imagine how Steam survey would look when those cards would be installed in gaming computers.
You're not making any sense. This article is about the 3090 by itself outselling AMD's entire RDNA2 lineup according to the Steam survey at a 11:1 ratio. If Nvidia sold all their cards to miners as you claim, then there wouldn't be any on Steam's survey.

Pauline Demetry

Honorable
Feb 17, 2015
Steam Survey has revealed that Nvidia outsells AMD by a massive margin, enough so that its RTX 3090 outsold all of AMD's RDNA 2 cards combined.

Nvidia's RTX 3090 Has Apparently Sold More Units Than AMD's Entire RX 6000 Series Lineup : Read more

Steams hardware survey Using market share or whatever metric they are using does not give the actual numbers. For all we know 12 people were surveyed and 1 had an AMD card. The percentages in that article do not show anything of value unless total, actual numbers are shown. Also, selling the bulk of their cards to miners and steam using partial sales metrics also invalidates the article.

Steam should release exactly what number of individuals were polled or how the metrics were taken. Presenting a chart with numbers is simply BS unless the source and how they obtained the numbers, and from who they got the numbers. Worthless otherwise.

InvalidError

Titan
That's how it should be done, but I can say that I always seem to get sampled when I'm running new/odd GPUs.
AFAIK, having new hardware has no bearing on when you get polled. I get the survey every 3-4 months regardless of whether I have changed anything on my PC and my previous PC had only one GPU upgrade over its 9 years as my primary PC. When I upgraded my PC, I got a survey a few weeks later and that was my second time for this year. So far this year, I have had a survey in January on my 9 years old PC, May on my new PC, which means I'm expecting another survey within the next two months.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Why are the AMD fans having a tizzy fit over this? AMD supplies all the GPUs and CPUs to the Xbox X and PS5. They can only get a certain number of chips made. They are Prioritizing the Game Consoles. Nvidia can send more resources to Video Cards. AMD is great, Nvidia is great.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Either the data is incorrect, or you can tell that Nvidia is not telling consumers where all the Ampere cards are going. Since launched, getting any RTX 3000 series card is not easy, but yet the 3090 which cost a ridiculous amount of money is outselling all RX 6000 series card? Halo products are generally low in yield and at the same time low in demand due to the price, so the results are nothing short of shocking. I get the point that majority of gamers prefer Nvidia GPUs, but the numbers just don't make sense. Unless the supply of RX 6000 series cards are that bad, even for the lower end RX 6700 XT. That bad that they can't produce as much as the RTX 3090.

Jim90

Distinguished
The headline, alone, should be raising extreme suspicion...!!!
Just how on earth could Nvidia's most expensive 'gaming card', as we all know marked up to eye-watering levels by scalpers, AIB's etc, be reflected in a Steam placement above the combined participation of their competitor's entire RDNA2 lineup...???

--> Think about it! This makes absolutely no sense! The validity of this 'survey' - and thus headline - clearly originates from the land of bulls#@t...for to think otherwise does your intellect severe disservice ;)

The headline, alone, should be raising extreme suspicion...!!!
Just how on earth could Nvidia's most expensive 'gaming card', as we all know marked up to eye-watering levels by scalpers, AIB's etc, be reflected in a Steam placement above the combined participation of their competitor's entire RDNA2 lineup...???

--> Think about it! This makes absolutely no sense! The validity of this 'survey' - and thus headline - clearly originates from the land of bulls#@t...for to think otherwise does your intellect severe disservice ;)
Well you explained it beautifully all by yourself, they sold extremely well to scalpers and AIB's , even if nobody bought any card from a scalper, where do you think that those AIB systems end up at?!
An AIB with an 3090 is only going to end up at a gamer and then show up in steam.
Also the ratio in march was 19:1 in favor of nvidia and it dropped to 11:1 now, so it's not like AMD is doing badly, they basically doubled their percentage in the last 5 months.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
You can't buy any Nvidia or AMD GPUs right now unless you're an industry insider because they are selling all of their production to the crypto miners. Yes, you could buy the ones that are being sold for 3-6 times the MSRP, but who in their right mind would do that?

Lol, crypto miners have nothing to do with steam. They don't buy GPUs to connect to steam.