Nvidia's Rumored Shield Tablet Surfaces at GCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoxasForTheWin

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Not a big fan of tablets. I hope the tablet doesn't overtake the normal Shield, because I hate touch screens in place of conventional controllers.

RoxasForTheWin

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Not a big fan of tablets. I hope the tablet doesn't overtake the normal Shield, because I hate touch screens in place of conventional controllers.

drakennz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I'm sure there is a completely valid reason, but can someone explain to me why people would want to stream their PC game off of their PC onto a tablet? Also what is the logistics behind how that works, can someone else be using the PC to do their stuff while you stream your game onto your tablet?

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I doubt Nvidia would be foolish enough to show the market their next-generation K1 with only 2GB of RAM and without dual-denver onboard. They will want it to attract 3rd parties to buy their new K1 64bit platform on their own in-house ARMv8 chip (which is fucking incredible by the way) and not the shitty appropriated 32bit tech on their jetson SDK that is an entire generation old.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I'm sure there is a completely valid reason, but can someone explain to me why people would want to stream their PC game off of their PC onto a tablet? Also what is the logistics behind how that works, can someone else be using the PC to do their stuff while you stream your game onto your tablet?

You can now stream over wifi connection. So with SHIELD (handheld or tablet with physical controller) you can play any PC game you want, while you're not home, as long as you have access to a wifi connection. It works best when you're within 200 miles of your PC. I have a SHIELD myself and I use it constantly. When I got a Wifi connection I play PC games that work good with a controller, like Skyrim. When I don't have wifi, I play tegra/android games, or use android emulators and play classic games from NES, SNES, Genesis, Playstation, etc. Having Super Metroid and a Link to the Past anywhere you go is awesome.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
64bit K1 won't be here for 4-5 months (in time for xmas stuff), so shield 2 is K1 32bit and so will all things K1 until at least oct-nov. Nothing foolish about marketing a 32bit K1 when it's all you have and Qcom's new S805 is 32bit also. Until Android L 64bit is kind of pointless for android.

Having said that, drop the res or it's pointless as a gaming tablet. 1080p tops (should be for ALL tablets) as above this on anything 13in or below is really not much better for the extreme hit you take. Granted a few tablets for special needs maybe above 1080p but really 99% of us would take 1080p and FAST games. Not that these can even do that without turning things off, but if they're upscaling 720p games out to 1080p tv it isn't bad since it's rougly xbox360/ps3 already for k1 so should do 720p stuff upscaled pretty well.

But yeah, double the storage and ram or again this is pointless (should be 4GB, and options for 32/64GB storage). At least give the options. 2GB is dead to me for ram, and 16GB is against my religion at this point too for storage...LOL. Games are already multi-GB, and will quickly head to 3-5GB as unreal 4 starts pumping out mobile games (among other engines). At least shield 2 has 4GB ram, I just hope they offer at least 32GB or hopefully 32/64GB options. Why not? They would find the 16GB sells very little if they did this. Both are gaming devices, so why not offer $20/$50 options for 32/64GB? It's probably much cheaper than that and they should just do it at cost to further their goals and push the shield platform to better stuff. You can fill up 16B with 6 games today as many high end titles are 2.5GB etc and this is just the beginning as they now know they can do quite a lot on S805/K1 etc and 20nm will explode the perf levels of all SOCS.

I'd rather have devs thinking everyone has plenty of space rather than, "well we can't do that, because we have to keep the game textures etc low for puny 8GB/16GB models or to deal with fitting inside 2GB of memory". pffft..

hannibal

Distinguished
More memory would be nice, but because all other tabs has 500Mb to 2Gb memory there is not support / demand to have more memory. It would also make that tablet more expensive, so they keep on using small amount of memory in theirs tabs.
So what we need is to have aps that demands more memory and there will not be aps because there are not devices that that have 4Gb memory... Chicken and eggs situation... once more. And in tablet market it is even harder, because the competition is so fierce.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

Just buy a Bluetooth controller; there available almost everywhere for $20.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
This with my 3dsXL would make mobile gaming so amazing! Wifi within 200 miles, everywhere I go on a regular basis has wifi. I can take a break at school and play any game I want, I am getting this and a nice bluetooth controller. Plus I can use my tablet for actual school stuff too. I wish this would come in a 128gb version, but 64gb will do too!

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

That is my understanding too.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Not sure if it uses the whole 4GB or shows up like xp32 3.5GB or not, but they can use well over 2GB.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/mobile-phone/3469589/64-bit-vs-32-bit-iphone/
"A 32-bit processor can access a maximum of 4GB of memory."
Phones already ship with 3 or 4GB so if android couldn't cut it samsung etc wouldn't be doing this. Over 4GB, yes you need 64bit cpu and OS. Here comes android L to fix it :) I'm thinking this device might be on android L and maybe even Denver based but who knows, depends on the date of release. I'm not sure if this is the google tablet (nexus 9) or if it's Nvidia's own tablet. It's kind of confusing at this point if there are two or they are one in the same. Too many rumors, not enough facts ;)

If it's a oct/nov product it could have denver and Android L. But that isn't needed for 4GB, just a rumor google was launching the nexus 9 with Android L. The 4GB would be there because google usually aims pretty high for nexus devices, and the Denver so they could claim 64bit etc. It should be very fast in single thread no doubt, and lower power with no companion, better gating etc, it's in house CPU so that's what you get (great battery and great perf, like krait/swift). If google puts out a 13in or better at 1080p I'm in :) No use for anything under this after using my dads nexus 10 at a ridiculous res hindering games. But that's just me. I want to game and watch training vids on it, portable movies on the side. 10in is too small to read some of the stuff in some training vids, so I'll wait for a larger K1 etc (not many 13 or 17in out there, just really small and FAR larger 20-27in).

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Not sure if it uses the whole 4GB or shows up like xp32 3.5GB or not, but they can use well over 2GB.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/mobile-phone/3469589/64-bit-vs-32-bit-iphone/
"A 32-bit processor can access a maximum of 4GB of memory."
Phones already ship with 3 or 4GB so if android couldn't cut it samsung etc wouldn't be doing this. Over 4GB, yes you need 64bit cpu and OS. Here comes android L to fix it :) I'm thinking this device might be on android L and maybe even Denver based but who knows, depends on the date of release. I'm not sure if this is the google tablet (nexus 9) or if it's Nvidia's own tablet. It's kind of confusing at this point if there are two or they are one in the same. Too many rumors, not enough facts ;)

If it's a oct/nov product it could have denver and Android L. But that isn't needed for 4GB, just a rumor google was launching the nexus 9 with Android L. The 4GB would be there because google usually aims pretty high for nexus devices, and the Denver so they could claim 64bit etc. It should be very fast in single thread no doubt, and lower power with no companion, better gating etc, it's in house CPU so that's what you get (great battery and great perf, like krait/swift). If google puts out a 13in or better at 1080p I'm in :) No use for anything under this after using my dads nexus 10 at a ridiculous res hindering games. But that's just me. I want to game and watch training vids on it, portable movies on the side. 10in is too small to read some of the stuff in some training vids, so I'll wait for a larger K1 etc (not many 13 or 17in out there, just really small and FAR larger 20-27in).

That is just asinine. Plenty of products and hardware have shipped before their software counterparts were ready. You could easily ship 64bit SHIELD with 8GB of RAM right now if you wanted, a simple 10second system update in November would unlock the unused hardware with Android L.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Where did I say you can't ship hardware before the OS or software is ready? I don't get your point. There is no 64bit Denver chip to put in a shield R2 right now, that is months away so that's "asinine". What are you talking about? I only said to take advantage of more than 4GB you'd need a 64bit chip and OS, not that you can't ship something you can't use yet. 64bit desktop cpus came way before 64bit windows on desktops. So what. You can ship an xp32 pc with 16GB, but you won't see anything over 3.5GB until you change the OS. Get it? Sure you can ship crap you can't use, but in the context of what I was saying about samsung etc already shipping 4GB, the current chip+os can use it and they won't ship more until it can be used by the cpu at least at some point. They don't have a 64bit chip yet either, so putting 8GB in their phone would be dumb wouldn't it? Android L won't make your 32bit cpu suddenly 64bit. My statement still stands: "Over 4GB, yes you need 64bit cpu and OS. Here comes android L to fix it"
You should have understood, you can ship it once the cpu is there, but you'll need Android L to fix it (meaning to take advantage of >4GB). You can surely ship a 16GB phone, but without a 64bit cpu and 64bit Android L you won't be using much of it.
Exynos 5433 isn't out yet either, so samsung has no 64bit yet (note4 might be the first with it). Intel and Apple are the only two shipping 64bit chips, and nobody wants Intel on android side so far. PAE had some tricks for windows OS's, but it didn't get around the 4GB 32bit virtual address limit.

You voted your own post up?...ROFL. Some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.