My Virginity : $0.4
My will to live : $0.6
My kidney : $1.0
My wife : $2.0/hour
FREE SHIPPING

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
All technology costs money, but it depends on their profit margins if it's worth the effort to continue. So as long as they can make a profit, than you'll see them continue with this product line.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]4 cores on devices that suck for multitasking is probably pointless. They need to concentrate on speed.[/citation]
Multiple cores are not just for multitasking.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
G

I dont hate nvidia but i also havent bought a nvidia card for about 4 years now.

I was buying nvidia cards since the company started. They had the better value back when they were competing against voodoo. Had everything from the original tnt, to a 6600. After that however, ati has been offering the best bang for the buck. So my latest cards have all been ati.

ATI has been executing better for the last few generations so they win my $s.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Remember, the Tegra has been around a LONG time since the Zune HD (still the best standalone media player you could get).
It may very well have cost them $2b in development (under $200m/year) but they've made many hundreds of millions selling the current and previous generations and learned enough to be able to go forward with whats possibly the most powerful mobile chip family for some time.
You gotta spend money to make money.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
@Thunderfox An ordinary phone have 30-40 processes all the time. Therefore more cores will always means better performance. The multithreading problem is also a windows problems. Unix have been multithreaded since 1960is. Android/iOS uses *nix.
Many OSes also have implemented special threading techniques like OSX Grand central dispatch that solves much of the threading problem.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mt2e[/nom]Tegra 3 will make or break Nvidea's mobile aspirations in my opinion.[/citation]

Nope. Tegra 3 is just a stopgap. Nvidia will be the only ARM vendor with quod core at 40nm. If Nvidia had delivered the chip on time they would have had a huge lead in performance. Now Nvidia will just have a couple of month lead before quod core 28nm A6 SoCs.

Nvidia have many interesting and unique ARM products in the pipeline. The 64bit Denver ARM. 8 core/16 core ARMs.

Nvidias Tesla/ARM strategy is the only thing that can save the company.

I hope that AMD have an alternate strategy if the X86 market starts to fail. AMDs graphics division may be better then Nvidia, but it does not make money.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ghnader hsmithot[/nom]I dont know why everybody hates Nvidia.[/citation]

Nvidia have burnt many customers with bump gate. I know several friends + me that have had graphic cards/computers that have stopped working because of bump gate. Many lost thousands of dollars because of Bumpgate

The whole Fermi debacle burned also many.

AMD have also a fanatical following that believes that everything evil in the world is because of Nvidia/Intel and Apple.
If a game scores low with AMD graphics: Always "its evil Nvidia optimizing". If Intel CPU is faster: "they use intel compilers". If Apple use thunderbolt "its not an open standard. USB3 rulezzZZzz"

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Remember, the Tegra has been around a LONG time since the Zune HD (still the best standalone media player you could get).It may very well have cost them $2b in development (under $200m/year) but they've made many hundreds of millions selling the current and previous generations and learned enough to be able to go forward with whats possibly the most powerful mobile chip family for some time.You gotta spend money to make money.[/citation]

So Zune/Tegra have been around for 10 years?
That was something new for me...

Nvidias total revenue per year is 3.7 billion.
So 2 billion development cost for Tegra seems high. The ARM chips are standard ARM cores. The graphic core is whats unique with Tegra. So the 2 billion is probably what Nvidia puts down in R&D for the graphics division.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]FunSurfer[/nom]Why is the article about Tegra and the photoes about Fermi and Tesla?[/citation]
Fermi and Tesla is the same thing. Much of Nvidias revenue is from the Tesla unit. (Many of the top 500 fastest computers in the world use Tesla). Today Nvidia uses Intel/AMD control CPUs for their Tesla clusters. Nvidias goal is to use its own 64bit ARM SoCs as control CPU. This would revolutionize hight performance computing since a high end Intel XEON cost 4K dollar and a high end ARM costs 25 dollar.

G

Shompa: The Intel compiler thing is real. Only a delusional fanboy idiot could pretend that it's not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_C%2B%2B_Compiler#Criticism

Then of course there's the Futuremark and Superpi debacles, among others. Surely Intel has well under 5% marketshare on compilers, somehow their compiler attracts the most interest from benchmark vendors. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.