Question nvlddmkm crashes occurring frequently

Jun 18, 2019
I’ve been having these soft crashes for around 4 months now, where the driver will crash, but the screen will stay on, just frozen. Sometimes the sound keeps playing. It used to crash totally but no longer seems to do so. It recovers every once in a while but I often have to hard restart.

Here are my specs:
EVGA XC Ultra RTX 2080 ti
32 gb of Corsair RGB Pro ram
EVGA 850W power supply
i7-9700k

I have no overclocks except for the factory clock on the card. I’ve run memtest overnight with zero errors, stress tested the CPU, turned on max power settings, used DDU to install fresh drivers, and updated windows.

When I check the event log I am met with Event ID 14 indicating a driver crash. I can post more info if needed. Does anyone have any advice?

Colif

Win 11 Master
nvlddmkm is the nvidia drivers, as you likely know by now.

after running DDU, where did you get drivers from? Sometimes using WIndows update instead of Nvidia can resolve crashes like this. Microsoft have slightly older nvidia drivers that seem to work better than the latest from Nvidia tend to do.

What motherboard do you have? What other parts are attached to PC?

Badjo_

Honorable
May 7, 2017
I've had a similar issue but not exactly the same, Where the screen will turn black but sound keeps running and I would have to hard restart my computer to get it running again, Turned out to be my PSU wearing out, Installed new one problem went away, Try using another PSU if you have one laying around if not RMA the PSU if it's still under warranty.

Jun 18, 2019

after running DDU, where did you get drivers from? Sometimes using WIndows update instead of Nvidia can resolve crashes like this. Microsoft have slightly older nvidia drivers that seem to work better than the latest from Nvidia tend to do.

I’ve got an Asus Z390 E. I’m using a 1tb M.2 SSD, can’t remember who manufactured it right now but I could go check if need be. The only peripherals are my monitor, which is an Alienware 3418DW, a mouse, a Corsair wireless headset, and a keyboard. I’ve used at least 4 separate drivers from various points in time. The crashes have occurred with all of them.

Jun 18, 2019
I've had a similar issue but not exactly the same, Where the screen will turn black but sound keeps running and I would have to hard restart my computer to get it running again, Turned out to be my PSU wearing out, Installed new one problem went away, Try using another PSU if you have one laying around if not RMA the PSU if it's still under warranty.
The PSU is just as new as all the other parts. Also, I don’t have a spare one lying around to test, unfortunately.

Jun 18, 2019

Also, if it helps, the crashes happen both under load and at other times. I've crashed on startup, while browsing the web, and several other times. I've gamed for several hours before crashing. Could this be indicative of anything in particular?