Question nvlddmkm.exe

Aug 9, 2020
Good morning everyone,
This is my first post and this is my first time ever asking anything on the internet but I'm a bit lost on how to take this problem anymore.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laptop :
- MSI GT70 PE Dominator Pro

Config :
  • Intel i7-4800MQ CPU 2.70GHZ 2.69GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M
  • First installed in Win8.1 and then before I bought it went through the Win10 change
  • 16.0GB RAM
  • 8 Cores
  • Processor x64
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PC was purchased reconditionned.

Recently (before the 2004 update) my laptop was working fine. It was running the 1909 and I wanted to make it as new so I tried to reinstall with the windows media tool my PC and everything (not the first time I've had to do that so I was prepared). Except that when everything was finished and AS new my MSI stated crashing with BSOD relating to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR. It was related every single time to either my Kernel or Nvidia. Every time I lauched a game everything stops and then BSOD appears like a superhero.

This is what I did for the past 3-4months (I dont recall) :
  • Ive tested my ram through the Win10 memtest
  • Ive uninstall and installed countless of nvidia versions
  • Updated my BIOS
  • Passed through Safe Mode to uninstall and install everything
  • Done every windows update except the v2004 (Because when I did it I couldnt even open my session It was war)
  • Installed BlueScreenViewer ad DriverClouds to check the blue screens error and see if any Drivers were utdated
I may have missed some checks but I'm at a loss I know for a fact that my laptop is pretty reliable and I dont want to change it som Im asking for your help.

Thanks in advance for your help I'm very much asking for any help I can get right now...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!
  • Are you able to post to us the dump files themselves?
  • Have you tried clean installing once more? Potentially something may have gotten corrupt along the way?
  • This and any other issues only occured after the clean install?
  • How are you updating the drivers?

Aug 9, 2020
Hello and Thank you PC Tailor,

Yes just this morning i've reinstalled my Win10 v1909 Family edition.
I could try and post a dump file if I can recreate every problem I've faced.

I go through Safe Mode and then unistall driver and then I let the Pc reboot the driver

Ill go and check every spec as youve mentionned in the message let me come back to you as soon as I can !

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's the one!

I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) here

if you are prompted to "Run fiddle if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

https://jsfiddle.net/uf0o9m5k/show

Summary of findings:
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
"This has a variety of causes but is typically from a misbehaving driver and therefore you should reference the third party modules loaded to check which ones may be misbehaving.

If new device drivers or system services have been added recently, try removing or updating them, update all other drivers and potentially BIOS.
To try and isolate the cause, temporarily disable power save using control panel, power options. Some driver issues are related to the various states of system hibernation and the suspending and resumption of power."

Some things to consider:
  • Did you say you just let Microsoft install the drivers? Or have you also tried to manually update them directly from NVIDIA?
  • I might also suggest updating your Intel Graphics drivers as applicable.
  • Lastly whilst it doesn't necessarily appear anywhere in the dump directly, it might be worth seeing if there is an update to your Qualcomm Wireless drivers as a fault could be occuring when a device is trying to access the network.
  • Do you have any other devices installed?

Aug 9, 2020
Ok so here is a newer BSOD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12SrI25uD1wKjAexhkXODlkckhNHoUIC_/view?usp=sharing
And I've tried to manually installed the NVIDIA drivers
Right now I have the default NVIDIA driver installed when reinstalling my windows 10. the version I have is from the 05/01/2017 and is the 22.21.13.8205 But I have also tried the latest one proposed by NVIDIA which as the one installed by the 425.31 version of GE Experience

Aug 9, 2020
Aug 9, 2020
  • Did you say you just let Microsoft install the drivers? Or have you also tried to manually update them directly from NVIDIA? Microsoft installed it but I have come back through NVDIA graphic card driver depending on my pc and have updated them manually and automatially
  • I might also suggest updating your Intel Graphics drivers as applicable. I have the latest possible version of the intel HD Graphics 4600 => 01/21/2020 v.20.19.15.5126
  • Lastly whilst it doesn't necessarily appear anywhere in the dump directly, it might be worth seeing if there is an update to your Qualcomm Wireless drivers as a fault could be occuring when a device is trying to access the network. For this bit I think I have all the latest drivers for it depending on my PC as DriversCloud didn't warn me of anything related to it BUT I will check manually
  • Do you have any other devices installed? What do you mean? which type of device are you talking about?

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, it says its to let people try ubuntu while running off a USB. It might also show gpu errors and if so, itt would make me think its not a software fault

maybe wait and see if we get more bsod as the more we have the easier it is to work out cause. Not all are as obvious as blaming nvidia driver each time.

where do you get nvidia driver from?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) here - if you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

https://jsfiddle.net/z2x6wL7r/show

Summary of findings:
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
"This has a variety of causes but is typically from a misbehaving driver and therefore you should reference the third party modules loaded to check which ones may be misbehaving.

If new device drivers or system services have been added recently, try removing or updating them, update all other drivers and potentially BIOS.
To try and isolate the cause, temporarily disable power save using control panel, power options. Some driver issues are related to the various states of system hibernation and the suspending and resumption of power."

Colif

Win 11 Master
nvlddmkm_IMAGE_pci.sys

oddly if I search that I get this where they blamed Nvidia & pci.sys as cause... pci.sys =NT Plug and Play PCI Enumerator
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/f938e282-2032-40fd-98b4-5d3be9daeb14?auth=1

Have you got the latest BIOS?
BIOS Version E1763IMS.71D
BIOS Release Date 04/17/2015

there are 4 bios since this version, it might help.

English clearly isn't 1st language of whoever wrote notes on the bios, I am not even sure what it means - wish I could tell you which one to get -
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/gt70-2pe-dominator-pro#down-bios

why release 4 bios on the same day and confuse me. You appear to be on newest now

I have to go soon but will come back and scratch my head in morning.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) here - if you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.
https://jsfiddle.net/tw28d7ur/show

Summary of findings:
VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
"This can come from both software and hardware issues and is usually purely based around the graphics processor. Unstable drivers can cause the issue, as well as excessive GPU temps, GPU failure and more.

Ensuring GPU drivers are up to date is usually the first port of call, but also updating the BIOS and other drivers may help. It is also worth looking at the PSU to ensure it is adequate for the GPU."

Aug 9, 2020
nvlddmkm_IMAGE_pci.sys

oddly if I search that I get this where they blamed Nvidia & pci.sys as cause... pci.sys =NT Plug and Play PCI Enumerator
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/f938e282-2032-40fd-98b4-5d3be9daeb14?auth=1

Have you got the latest BIOS?
BIOS Version E1763IMS.71D
BIOS Release Date 04/17/2015

there are 4 bios since this version, it might help.

English clearly isn't 1st language of whoever wrote notes on the bios, I am not even sure what it means - wish I could tell you which one to get -
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/gt70-2pe-dominator-pro#down-bios

why release 4 bios on the same day and confuse me. You appear to be on newest now

Yes ! I do !! :) BIOS Version => American Megatrends Inc. E1763IMS.71D, 04/17/2015
Thanks mate appreciate all the help I can get !

Aug 9, 2020

Have you had any enlightment?
And Ive tested Ubuntu on windows 10 just to try. Ive installed Steam through ubunu terminal and the nvidia drivers i think it was the 440 version adapted by default for my pc. Then I ve tested out Terraria (which is a graphic friendly game normally which on windows doesnt run cuz nvidia crashes) and it was working fine.
I just wanted to know is Ubuntu my only way out? or is there something more?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Have you had any enlightment?
And Ive tested Ubuntu on windows 10 just to try. Ive installed Steam through ubunu terminal and the nvidia drivers i think it was the 440 version adapted by default for my pc. Then I ve tested out Terraria (which is a graphic friendly game normally which on windows doesnt run cuz nvidia crashes) and it was working fine.
I just wanted to know is Ubuntu my only way out? or is there something more?
Unfortunately I won't be able to respond much further at the moment but rest assured myself, Colif and perhaps someone else will add to this when possible.

The ubuntu test was more to see if it really was hardware or software. If it was hardware, theoretically the GPU should lead to a crash of some kind irrelevant as to the OS. The fact that it is working fine on Ubuntu would more likely indicate it is a software conflict. It's not saying that Ubuntu is the only way to work, it was just a test to push is one direction or another.

In which case initial points could be leading to a conflict with latest windows and your NVIDIA drivers. The windows update has not been about for very long so could be a cause for concern. You could always try reverting back to the previous Windows version as Media creation tool would have downloaded absolute latest.

Weirdly enough, I know you said the NVIDIA drivers were up to date, however the dump file suggests they still dated back to 2018 - which could simply be because thats all thats needed for your GPU, or that it was doing a gradual progressive update of drivers. But i haven't looked into it.

Also worth noting if you are isntalling driver updates from a driver updater software, this can also cause issues (I noticed you said Driver Clouds) which should generally be avoided, but obviously I don't know if you actually used this to update drivers, they have a notorious habit of installing incorrect drivers.

I'll have to try and revisit this later! But at least thought it was worth responding my friend. Apologies I can't at more at the moment!

Aug 9, 2020
Unfortunately I won't be able to respond much further at the moment but rest assured myself, Colif and perhaps someone else will add to this when possible.

The ubuntu test was more to see if it really was hardware or software. If it was hardware, theoretically the GPU should lead to a crash of some kind irrelevant as to the OS. The fact that it is working fine on Ubuntu would more likely indicate it is a software conflict. It's not saying that Ubuntu is the only way to work, it was just a test to push is one direction or another.

In which case initial points could be leading to a conflict with latest windows and your NVIDIA drivers. The windows update has not been about for very long so could be a cause for concern. You could always try reverting back to the previous Windows version as Media creation tool would have downloaded absolute latest.

Weirdly enough, I know you said the NVIDIA drivers were up to date, however the dump file suggests they still dated back to 2018 - which could simply be because thats all thats needed for your GPU, or that it was doing a gradual progressive update of drivers. But i haven't looked into it.

Also worth noting if you are isntalling driver updates from a driver updater software, this can also cause issues (I noticed you said Driver Clouds) which should generally be avoided, but obviously I don't know if you actually used this to update drivers, they have a notorious habit of installing incorrect drivers.

I'll have to try and revisit this later! But at least thought it was worth responding my friend. Apologies I can't at more at the moment!

No problem and thank you for your answer.

Here is what I have at the moment. It is clearly not a Hardware problem as I had no problem using it the day before I tried rebooting my pc and reinstalling a clean windows. Except that at first I had installed it with the 2004version and not the 1909.

I have reverted to the 1909version and will stay in this version no matter what happens next :)

If you want any information I'll gladly help cuz I really am at a loss... Im a gamer at heart and after a good long day with son and work i gladly like to free myself from all those chores.

Drivers clouds is used in the only case of knowing which drivers I need to keep up to date I don't install them through those softares only manually in safe mode.

All the drivers Ive got atm are those :
  • Intel HD Graphics 4600 => 01/21/2020 - 20.19.15.5126
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M => 04/09/2019 - 25.21.14.2531
  • Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller => 01/14/2020 - 9.0.0.50
  • Killer Wireless-N 1202 Network Adapter => 08/25/2017 - 10.0.355

Last edited: