Question nvlddmkm.exe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 9, 2020
Good morning everyone,
This is my first post and this is my first time ever asking anything on the internet but I'm a bit lost on how to take this problem anymore.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laptop :
- MSI GT70 PE Dominator Pro

Config :
  • Intel i7-4800MQ CPU 2.70GHZ 2.69GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M
  • First installed in Win8.1 and then before I bought it went through the Win10 change
  • 16.0GB RAM
  • 8 Cores
  • Processor x64
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PC was purchased reconditionned.

Recently (before the 2004 update) my laptop was working fine. It was running the 1909 and I wanted to make it as new so I tried to reinstall with the windows media tool my PC and everything (not the first time I've had to do that so I was prepared). Except that when everything was finished and AS new my MSI stated crashing with BSOD relating to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR. It was related every single time to either my Kernel or Nvidia. Every time I lauched a game everything stops and then BSOD appears like a superhero.

This is what I did for the past 3-4months (I dont recall) :
  • Ive tested my ram through the Win10 memtest
  • Ive uninstall and installed countless of nvidia versions
  • Updated my BIOS
  • Passed through Safe Mode to uninstall and install everything
  • Done every windows update except the v2004 (Because when I did it I couldnt even open my session It was war)
  • Installed BlueScreenViewer ad DriverClouds to check the blue screens error and see if any Drivers were utdated
I may have missed some checks but I'm at a loss I know for a fact that my laptop is pretty reliable and I dont want to change it som Im asking for your help.

Thanks in advance for your help I'm very much asking for any help I can get right now...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ubuntu working fine would make me think its a driver in windows then.
I got you to run it to see if you had same or similar problems in it.

I mean, it could be GPU as linux doesn't stress computers as much as windows can.

I will ask another friend to convert dumps for us since I don't know if PC is returning today (he comes and goes)

Aug 9, 2020
Ubuntu working fine would make me think its a driver in windows then.
I got you to run it to see if you had same or similar problems in it.

I mean, it could be GPU as linux doesn't stress computers as much as windows can.

I will ask another friend to convert dumps for us since I don't know if PC is returning today (he comes and goes)
No problem will wait for your feedback

Aug 9, 2020
New dump file not created after reverting to initial drivers for this pc and opening steam.exe => DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Driver :
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX880M 01/07/2014 - 9.18.13.3235

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
"I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to ""Run only if trusted"" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present."

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/cq35862o/show

Summary of findings:
VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
"This can come from both software and hardware issues and is usually purely based around the graphics processor. Unstable drivers can cause the issue, as well as excessive GPU temps, GPU failure and more.

Ensuring GPU drivers are up to date is usually the first port of call, but also updating the BIOS and other drivers may help. It is also worth looking at the PSU to ensure it is adequate for the GPU."

Right so VIDEO_TDR_ERROR there are basically 3 solutions to a Video TDR issue:
  1. Update video drivers
  2. Roll-back video drivers
  3. Replace video card (if Desktop PC, which on your laptop, can't be done obviously)
I know you said you use Driver Cloud to find outdated drivers, but not necessarily install them, but have you also installed some in safe mode that you've been able to revert?

I also can't recall, did you say you also tried clean installing with an older windows?

What I find odd is each dump file shows your NVIDIA drivers are a different time stamp:
nvpciflt.sys11/01/2019NVIDIANVIDIA 3D Vision Driver
nvlddmkm.sys11/01/2019NVIDIANVIDIA Video Drivers

These suggest they are still over a year old (as I know you are crashing as you are trying to update them).

I can also see these:
MBfilt64.sys31/07/2009RealtekRealtek HD Audio Driver
RTKVHD64.sys14/06/2017RealtekRealtek HD Audio Driver
athw10x.sys02/08/2017QualcommQualcomm Atheros Wireless LAN device driver
TeeDriverW8x64.sys19/11/2017IntelIntel Management Engine Interface driver

But I'd find it unlikely that these would somehow indirectly lead to a Video TDR timeout.

Aug 9, 2020
Ok so concerning the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE I've done undone and redone the 2 bullet points mentionned (and yes I'm on a laptop). Also did in safe mode the installation of NVIDIA drivers but in safe mode the particularity is that when trying to go for the details (device manager) they say that they can't fnd any information concerning this driver as not supported in safe mode (something like that).

Concerning the Nvidia drivers time stamps it's clearly normal that they are over a year old as there wasn't any updates of the GTX 880M series since april 2019

Finally, for the last points I find it also odd that those would provoke a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE but then again what should I do about those as I thought they were all updated for my actual PC config ! :)

Aug 9, 2020
I don't know if it's possible but if it is I would like some help from you guys. Is it possible to uterly uninstall EVERY SINGLE driver from my pc in safe mode and re install every drivers that were normally meant for my GT70PE dominator pro cuz it is maybe due to incompatibility from the drivers that I currently have? Is it a solution or is it an idea on top of my head with no concrete solution behind it?

Im saying this as my pc when bought was a reconditionned 8.1 version pc into win 10 version.

Aug 9, 2020
Used DDU in safe mode to uninstal everything that was NVIDIA related
Than after restarting safe mode I've installed the latest version concerning the brand of my graphic cards the v425.31 (04/09/2019 => 25.21.14.2531) BUT there was that NVIDIA telemetry client that couldnt be installed what is this? and is it relevant?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if it's possible but if it is I would like some help from you guys. Is it possible to uterly uninstall EVERY SINGLE driver from my pc in safe mode and re install every drivers that were normally meant for my GT70PE dominator pro cuz it is maybe due to incompatibility from the drivers that I currently have? Is it a solution or is it an idea on top of my head with no concrete solution behind it?
not really. only way to remove all drivers is a reset.

running driver easy isn't an ideal fix as 3rd party driver updaters can install the wrong drivers.

you could run this to identify whats on pc now
Download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 9, 2020
not really. only way to remove all drivers is a reset.

running driver easy isn't an ideal fix as 3rd party driver updaters can install the wrong drivers.

you could run this to identify whats on pc now
Download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Already had DriverView but couldnt seem to know how to use it XD
Here's what I have for you tell me if it's enough or you to move on?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KY-5ZMi-Colx6YgNXxNZl7IuNoPz5svY/view?usp=sharing

I'm uterly lost and I know its driver/software oriented but I don't ant to send it to a repair shop and they "find" problems that don't exist like when you go for a car repair and they don't fix the problem... Hope I made myself as clear as possible :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
My GPU died last Monday so my ability to come reply was shot in foot. Sure, I could have run without a GPU but my 4k monitor tends to turn itself off if not supplied enough signal. Instead I waited and made a new PC on weekend and wanted to have some fun testing it out in some old games.... I am usually always here. People just expect me to be here...

So I guess PC was waiting for me to reply or I am out of the loop as I don't know why it hasn't been converted.

Aug 9, 2020
My GPU died last Monday so my ability to come reply was shot in foot. Sure, I could have run without a GPU but my 4k monitor tends to turn itself off if not supplied enough signal. Instead I waited and made a new PC on weekend and wanted to have some fun testing it out in some old games.... I am usually always here. People just expect me to be here...

So I guess PC was waiting for me to reply or I am out of the loop as I don't know why it hasn't been converted.
Im so sorry for that I wasn't expecting you to answer or to be here don't worry :) But I was sure someone would at least answer XD don't worry :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the latest dump file and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

https://jsfiddle.net/5d3m19kc/show

Summary of findings:
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
In general this stop code is caused by faulty driver code that under certain conditions, does not complete its work within the allotted time frame.

• If a driver is identified in the bug check message, to isolate the issue, disable the driver. Check with the manufacturer for driver updates.
  • Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x133.
  • Confirm that any new hardware that is installed is compatible with the installed version of Windows. For example, you can get information about required hardware at Windows 10 Specifications."

The above is generic information and not directly my own. Part of the problem for this one is that a parameter 1 of 1 is more complex than a parameter of 0. 0 usually means a single DPC exceeded its allotted time, a parm of 1 means the crash is similar but can have multiple drivers involved and can often require a more detailed view.

For now it's one that I am still developing in and will not jump into at this point, but might ask around for some more expert help. It's hard to ignore the NV being a culprit in everything however.

Some people over at Sysnative.com could possible be of more expert help as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, its the same old story.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys

Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+1fe1c2 )

its mentioned in dump text
fffff80064c6e3d0 ffffcc8f3c1c4000 : fffff80064c6e500 000000000000ffff 0000000000000000 fffff8006e34889a : nvlddmkm+0x1fe1c2

Did I suggest in the past to use older drivers as your current ones are from April last year