Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Specs:
r9 3900x w/ Aorus b450 elite v2
MSI RTX 2080 super
2x8gb gskill ripjaws
650w coolermaster psu

Hey all,

When doing light gaming today my computer hard crashed 3 times, after which I was able to get to windows but with tiny vertical purple line artifacts. My computer then started crashing with a nvlddmkm.sys failure. I of course thought my 2080 super was dead so I swapped in my known good old gtx 1070 but got the same exact issues

I then tested my 2080 super in my brothers computer, and it functioned perfectly under load in games.

I have since replaced my motherboard and PSU, hoping it could have been one of them because I was planning on replacing them to no avail.

I have now clean installed windows to no avail

I have tried to clean install windows on multiple different drives

I have tried one RAM stick at a time to see if it was a ram issue.

I have tried multiple different monitors with different cables.

It makes perfect sense for this to be a gpu issue, but why would the GPU have functioned fine on a different system? And why would two GPUs have the same exact issue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
CPU - 3900X
GPU - 2080 S & 1070
Monitor - multiple tried with different cables
MB - 2 different boards tried.
PSU - replaced

Um, unless there is something else in PC you haven't mentioned, it would have to be CPU at this point but its a strange problem. I would be tempted to get a repair shop to check it, as line should show for them as well. They could put CPU in another PC and see if same line appears.

Does it happen on HDMI or DP or Both?

IAmNick1337

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
CPU - 3900X
GPU - 2080 S & 1070
Monitor - multiple tried with different cables
MB - 2 different boards tried.
PSU - replaced

Um, unless there is something else in PC you haven't mentioned, it would have to be CPU at this point but its a strange problem. I would be tempted to get a repair shop to check it, as line should show for them as well. They could put CPU in another PC and see if same line appears.

Does it happen on HDMI or DP or Both?

I have only tried DP, I did have an HDMI tv hooked up originally when I use using multiple displays but it wasnt being detected.

What do you think of it potentially being a short from the case? I remember once or twice where I plugged something into a case USB port and the PC crashed over the last few months, but without problems after. I read somewhere that someone had similar-ish GPU issues and a short was suggested but the thread was never updated.

Tomorrow I may try running the system outside of the case but everything seems like a stretch at this point

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, i even contemplated your power strip as cause. its why testing pc by outside party would tell you if it exists elsewhere.
it has to be something you haven't replaced and that doesn't seem to leave a lot. CPU is only major part that stayed the same.

maybe a bent pin on cpu?

IAmNick1337

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
well, i even contemplated your power strip as cause. its why testing pc by outside party would tell you if it exists elsewhere.
it has to be something you haven't replaced and that doesn't seem to leave a lot. CPU is only major part that stayed the same.

maybe a bent pin on cpu?

I suppose its possible but the system functioned fine for 7 months and has been sitting on my desk the whole time so I don’t know how one could have gotten bent. The only time the CPU was moved was when I did the motherboard swap today but that was after the issues popped up

IAmNick1337

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
I am just giving ideas, cover all the bases. I am hesitant to right cpu off as it was in PC during all the problems. You replaced most of everything else.

any add on cards? USB WIFI cards?

No add in cards. Only things i guess I didnt list was I have a 1TB inland nvme, a 120gb samsung 840 evo and a old 1tb hdd i use for data storage. And obviously my case, a fractal meshify C i thinl

IAmNick1337

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
I am just giving ideas, cover all the bases. I am hesitant to right cpu off as it was in PC during all the problems. You replaced most of everything else.

any add on cards? USB WIFI cards?

I have now tested the PC outside of the case, and the problem persisted. I am now submitting a warranty request with AMD, as unless you have other ideas I think I'ved ruled out everything besides the CPU