Apr 12, 2020
I have two Quadro cards and a Motherboard which has 2 x16 PCIe slots. I would like to harness the power of Quadro using both x16 slots. I am not able to decide which is the right SLI connector/NVLink Bridge to connect 2 RTX Quadro 5000 respectively mounted in 2 x16 PCIe slots. Now I am using 2 slot bridge which connects x16 and x8 PCIe slots. So it is only strong as the weakest link. That means, It is only using 8 lanes. It is not any better than using OnesSingle Quadro mounted in one X16 Slot(PCI_E1).

Hope this will shed light on my understanding of the subject matter, thus my conundrum.

Any kind of input regarding this topic is appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
I have two Quadro cards and a Motherboard which has 2 x16 PCIe slots. I would like to harness the power of Quadro using both x16 slots. I am not able to decide which is the right SLI connector/NVLink Bridge to connect 2 RTX Quadro 5000 respectively mounted in 2 x16 PCIe slots. Now I am using 2 slot bridge which connects x16 and x8 PCIe slots. So it is only strong as the weakest link. That means, It is only using 8 lanes. It is not any better than using OnesSingle Quadro mounted in one X16 Slot(PCI_E1).

Hope this will shed light on my understanding of the subject matter, thus my conundrum.

Any kind of input regarding this topic is appreciated.
What application are you trying to use the GPUs for? An x8 PCIe 3.0 slot vs a x16 slot may make no difference in performance. Or the application you are using may not support the dual graphics cards.

Apr 12, 2020
What application are you trying to use the GPUs for? An x8 PCIe 3.0 slot vs a x16 slot may make no difference in performance. Or the application you are using may not support the dual graphics cards.

Thank you @kanewolf for your reply.
I am a motion designer so I use GPU in everyday basis, either simulating particles dynamics or rendering complex 3d scenes. I use Cinema 4d with Redshift and X-Particles, After Effects, Da Vinci Resolve and almost all Adobe application. I know most if these applications doesn't support Multi GPU yet. However, More and more applications are being released with Multi GPU processing capabilities.

Using 2 slot Nvlink bridge makes my GPUs almost touch each other. Top GPU's fan is covered with the second GPU, and there is no enough room for air to circulate. I would like to use 3 slot Bridge so there is enough gap between them and also mount my both cards in x16 slot.
My question is:
Is there something called x8 NVLink Bridge and x16 NVLink Bridge?
x8 bridge to connect two GPUs mounted in x8 PCIe slot and,
X16 Bridge to connect GPUs mounted in x16 PCIe slot.
I am asking this because there are two different kind of 3 slot Bridge for RTX 5000, Please check the link below.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1DW-000D-000F2?Description=x8 nvlink bridge&cm_re=x8_nvlink_bridge--9SIAJCJAPC7894--Product&quicklink=true

AND

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...XwzGgKG6wrcK9pIw1DwJfe6d13H3qhwMaAvOMEALw_wcB

Newegg says x8 in the title(product description) and is $100 less than B&H.