[SOLVED] nvm-e ssd pci-e boot problem

tahaomurca14

Commendable
Jul 24, 2018
Hello everyone, i was looking for answer my problem but i couldnt found.
My problem is idont have nvme m.2 port for my samsung 960 evo so i buy pci-e m.2 adapter for it and i plugged to adapter and my motherboard.
After that i formatted my pc and everythings cool and right. Finnaly procceses completed fastly and time to boot but its not seeing my pci-e ssd at boot section. Only harddiscs shows up but not pcie ssd.
I need to boot pc from pci ssd.
dB7mrV.jpg

Solution

There are no BIOS updates to support PCIe boot on that board. Considering many Z97 boards don't do it natively, theres no chance a Z87 will.

This is never going to work. You either need to use it as a secondary drive, or return it and buy a normal SSD.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Depending on your motherboard and how old it is it may not be able to boot from a PCIe SSD. There are motherboards even as new as Z97 (4th gen intel) that WILL NOT work.

What motherboard are you running?

Drivers do not affect booting. He may need a BIOS update, but many older boards just won't boot from a PCIe SSD.

tahaomurca14

Commendable
Jul 24, 2018
My motherboard is asus but idk where could i find model name because of i removed all my data for clean setup include windows so i cant install driver. Actually before format i already prepared my ssd at disc management section and it was working pretty well unless i didnt used it active but i can see it at my computer. So what should i do now? Update uefi bios or install windows to harddisc like before and install driver?
Edit: my motherboard model is Z87-A
Bios version is 1602

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

We need to know the exact model of your motherboard. It should be printed near the ASUS logo in the middle of the board.

This is NOT a driver issue. It may be a BIOS issue.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

There are no BIOS updates to support PCIe boot on that board. Considering many Z97 boards don't do it natively, theres no chance a Z87 will.

This is never going to work. You either need to use it as a secondary drive, or return it and buy a normal SSD.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Photo doesn't work. Says access denied if I copy into a browser.

The 960 EVO is a PCIe drive, the SATA slot and adapter from your PCIe slot adapter will not work with it. That part is for adding a SATA M.2 drive.

You need to return the drive and buy an 860 EVO standard 2.5inch SSD.