Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021
Short version: The motherboard cannot see any NVMe drive i have tested. It does not show in bios except in "intel rapid storage technology" section in BIOS.

I just built a new PC with the z690 gaming x ddr4 and Core i7-12700k. And i made a Windows 10 install USB stick using MediaCreationTool21H1.
When i got to the windows install, i could see that no disk was discovered, so i googled things like "no nvme device found", and i got tons of hits of different sorts.

So i tried things like turning off CSM, to remove keys on Secure Boot, select "Other OS" instead of "Windows". And all kinds of things. But nothing helped.
I also tried to insert the NVMe's i used on my old computer, and they didn't show up either, not in BIOS and not in windows install. But they do show up in the section called "intel rapid storage technology" where it says they are connected to port 0.0

The NVMe I've tried is the Samsung PM9A1 500GB, Corsair Force MP600 2TB and WD Black SN750 1TB.

I tried them in all the four M.2 ports as well. The PM9A1 is brand new and has never been installed before, the other two have been used on my old computer for games.

I did however try one thing before i gave up after 6 hours of try and fail yesterday and that was to try and boot with my OLD windows installation which is on a Samsung EVO 970 500GB, It is currently installed in a PCI Express M.2 adapter which i inserted in the bottom PCI express slot. This started to boot, but i got a bluescreen at some point, but that is probably just because it can't handle the hardware changes. But it started to boot none the less.

Also the mainboard can easily see Sata disks inserted, and also windows installation can see these.

But to clearrify. Only one NVMe was connected at any given time when i tried to install windows.

So. now i have rebuilt my old computer and have made a ticket on Gigabyte support. But while i wait for that, which can take days, I'm trying to see if anyone here have a clue what's going on.

one of the tings i found when i googled was that it might come down the way windows install works. And that the "version" i have on my USB stick is the issue, that i need to use something called Rufus and create a new installation stick with different settings. Now i have never had the need to do something like this before, so this is to me a complete shot in the dark. Because to test this i have to disassemble my old computer once again to build the new, just to maybe run into new issues.

So I'm trying to get a clear picture here, what can it be, and what should i do?

I have installed that new PM9A1 NVMe in my old computer now and Disk Management sees it and wants to initialize it. Should i maybe initialize it with MBR before i at some point try and install it in my new computer again?
As i said, the Samsung 970 EVO with my old windows installation did start to boot using a PCI express M.2 adapter, but i never tried it directly in one of the four M.2 slots.

Hope someone got a clear picture of what is going on here. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see what your BIOS version for the motherboard is at the time of writing? What is the storage controller set to? According to this BIOS settings guide, they should show up in NVMe configuration. Just for the sake of relevance, while the SSD is missing from BIOS, have you tried moving ahead with the installation of OS, triggering it from the BIOS boot override menu under BOOT?

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021
Can you check and see what your BIOS version for the motherboard is at the time of writing? What is the storage controller set to? According to this BIOS settings guide, they should show up in NVMe configuration. Just for the sake of relevance, while the SSD is missing from BIOS, have you tried moving ahead with the installation of OS, triggering it from the BIOS boot override menu under BOOT?

I forgot to take a picture of the BIOS version but it was september 2021 release.
I can try and lay the motherboard on the antistatic plastic on the table next to my old pc and just use the cables from it to power it up and see.

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021

I just edited my OP to include images. I have now installed the M.2 initialized with MBR, still can't see it. I didn't however remember to try and install windows this time, which is a bummer, i should probably have tried that. I can't find "Storage Contrroller" anywhere in the BIOS. I might be blind, but i can't see it anywhere.

EDIT: Im gonna Flash the BIOS to F4 now, see if that helps. Then i'm gonna try and install windows again.

Last edited:

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021
This matter is now solved. It was the BIOS that needed to be upgraded from F2 to F4. Some times you have to ask yourself the question why they ship things that doesn't work.
M.2 was immediately recognized after update and windows installed without any issues. It might be because F2 has VDM enabled by default.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pnewbie
Nov 5, 2021
Wow thanks for this post I have been driving myself nuts all day why i cant get any nvme drive and a few other things to work and it was a bios update to F4 this whole time!

Just wanted to added i think the actual problem with the NVME drive is on the release F2 bios VDM is enabled by default and cant be to see NVME drives.

Last edited:

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021
Wow thanks for this post I have been driving myself nuts all day why i cant get any nvme drive and a few other things to work and it was a bios update to F4 this whole time!

Just wanted to added i think the actual problem with the NVME drive is on the release F2 bios VDM is enabled by default and cant be to see NVME drives.

Nice to hear it helped someone else. This post might help many others in the next days or weeks, as this is a problem it seems quite a few people will run into.
I had no idea it was VDM. When i googled the problem, VDM didn't even show up as a solution anywhere.

Nov 6, 2021
Thanks for the solution, I didn't understand why my nvme was not recognized even after booting on another disk. I thought that the nvme slot on my motherboard was broken.

oSlapz

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Exactly what I was looking for. Spent all day trying to figure this out and like others thought I had a bad mobo. Where exactly can we find the F4 bios update? All I can see on the Gigabyte support page in bios is for the release version. Any links would be great. Thanks for the effort :)

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021
Exactly what I was looking for. Spent all day trying to figure this out and like others thought I had a bad mobo. Where exactly can we find the F4 bios update? All I can see on the Gigabyte support page in bios is for the release version. Any links would be great. Thanks for the effort :)

Here is the direct link to the F4 Bios. But before you flash, you might want to try and just disable VDM. But i would probably flash anyways.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

oSlapz

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
No problem. Did it work? Did you btw try to just disable VDM first?
Yea it worked like a charm! Just flashed the bios! Wish I googled first before trying to troubleshoot myself haha. Many thanks for the thread, very much appreciated

Soul_JacKER

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
I had to take the time to reactivate my account just to say thank you for all your hard work trying to figure out this problem. I'm a few hours in trying to figure out this problem on my z690i aorus. You saved me from lots of headaches. Thank you to everyone who helped. I can see the drive now!

Reactions: oSlapz
Nov 10, 2021
I was so glad seeing this post I upgraded to the latest F4 bios thinking it would solve my issue but unfortunately it didn't I still can't see my nvme in the bios or in the windows installation I tried the M2A_CPU and M2P_SB slots but nothing shows up in the bios any ideas?

Nov 10, 2021
I was so glad seeing this post I upgraded to the latest F4 bios thinking it would solve my issue but unfortunately it didn't I still can't see my nvme in the bios or in the windows installation I tried the M2A_CPU and M2P_SB slots but nothing shows up in the bios any ideas?
Found the problem... I didn't remember exactly what M.2 type I had I was sure it was a PCIe SSD but no its a M.2 SATA (Samsung SSD 860 Evo M.2) everything works now in the M2M_SB slot.

Nov 10, 2021
Just registered to say thank you so much for posting this thread.

I found it through Google after I'd just about given up and was ready to return the Motherboard to the retailer. Worked like a charm.

Exact same motherboard and CPU as you. I wonder how many other people will have this problem and go through a serious amount of stress before finding the solution.

Anyway, thanks again, you absolute hero.

Nov 15, 2021
Created an account just to say thank you. Couldn't see any nvme drives on my z690 Elite ddr4, updated bios from F2 to F4 and voila!

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Thanks for the thread I've been pulling my hair out for hours. Windows setup could see it but wouldn't let me install on it. Bios updated and now it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.