Question NVME and SATA SSD drives very slow

pkincy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
My WIn 10 (Asus Maximus XI hero) PC has 3 NVME SSDs and 2 SATA SSDs. Last time I benchmarked them was Jan of 19. Machine started running very slowly so I benchmarked all the drives. The NVME drives were running 4k read and write at 10% of January speeds. Sequential was about 50% of January. On the SATA SSDs the sequential was about the same but 4k read/write was about 20% of January speed. I have made no changes to the machine. Any ideas? TIA.

pkincy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Yes TRIM is active and I have Samsung Magician and all the drives are Samsung. Slow down a bit I get, but not 90% slower over 3 months of use. And given the fact that I have 4TB of NVME and 3 TB of SATA SSDs with only 963 gb of data I don't think it is because they are full. I have bought another 970 Evo 2 TB NVME and will install that and benchmark it to see what is up. But I suspect it has to be something on the mobo that is the problem. Why else would all the drives slow down at once?? Particularly with 3 of them on PCIe lanes and 2 on SATA lanes? I do have another 8TB of spinner HDDs but they are empty and I haven't checked them.

Also I have benchmarked with both AS-SSD and CDM. Additionally NVME to NVME backups for my data are taking a lot longer so there is that anecdotal evidence outside of benchmarks.

pkincy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Update: My performance is back. Apparently a major virus or Malware that my Virus scanner or Malwarebytes Premium couldn't identify. I back up regularly. I had noticed the performance degradation over the past week. So I recovered my back up from May 10 rather than any later than that. Interestingly enough it had 750 gb of data and the May 20 backup had 815 gb of data. I may have added a program or two but not 75 gb of info. At any rate the May 10 backup is running wonderfully and all my NVME and Sata SSD benchmarks are now back to normal.

Hint: Don't expect even robust malware and virus software to keep you completely safe. Back up regularly.

pkincy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Microsoft Defender.

For grins, on my 2TB NVME boot drive:
Read: Seq was 1760 MB/s now is 2782 MB/s
Write: Seq was 2000 MB/s now is 2388 MB/s

Read: 4k was 5.06 MB/s is now 48.33 MB/s
Write: 4k was 6.11 MB/s is now 119.23 MB/s

Overall AS SSD score was 1206 and is now 4997.

All my data NVME drives had about the same performance degradation. The Sata SSD drives had a bit less degradation except in 4k read/write where they also were less than 8 MB/s. Crazy.

Last edited: