Question NVME boots in 5-7 secs alone. With 2 ither 8TB hhds Plugged in it takes 40Secs to get to desktop. Why?

faslanetech

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
Hi all, I have a SCREAMING NVME WD BLACK that boots my z390, 6-core i5 8th gen, RTX 2070 8GB, and DDR4 3000 system in 5-7 seconds as it should. The minute I plug in my storage drives. (HGST 7200 RPM 8TB X 2) my boot time massively increases to 38-40 seconds. WOW. This doesn't seem normal at all. I've never had a system boot so slow just from 9ther HDs installed. Especially on a 2018 model Mobo with amazing specs.... Thoughts? BIOS setting off? (AHCI) ALL 4 DRIVES SHOW UP FINE. but the 2 HDDs plugged in completely destroy my boot time. Is this a paging file perhaps? Smart status setting? Anyone? I'm stumped. I don't remember hard drives being plugged in slowing down the computer at such an alarming rate and so badly. they are all satta drives everything is brand new I've checked all the cables even swapped set of ports and everything they're all on the 6 gigabit channel saddest x like they're supposed to be and they are high in 7200 RPM drives but when I turn the system on I can hear the drive is turning like the system is scanning them or something but I don't have any antivirus or any protection turned on whatsoever it's strictly a gaming machine and I rarely get online with it so I don't even use an anti-virus I use Malwarebytes and that's it but it's not anti-virus scanning the hard drives it's like the system just reading them at startup and because they're large drives maybe just taking forever but I certainly don't remember my last machine doing this and it booted up just fine super fast as well granted it only had a SSD SATA drive not a pcie nvme drive but it still wasn't the slow with just two additional storage drives plugged in. I'm stumped, anyone?

Ty for any assistance. :-0
L

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"9 other HDDs"?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

First without the storage drives and then with one storage drive, then a second storage drive, etc.... installed.

Performance Monitor may also help.

Very likely that you may spot the bottleneck that is slowing things down. Or some threshold value that causes boot time to increase.

Post full hardware specs and OS. Perhaps a power (PSU) issue. PSU may not be up to getting all the drives up and running as quickly as you would like.

harrysmellington

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
My friend actually run into the exact same problem, his main boot drive is 970 evo and would boot in 14 seconds or so, but with HDD in it would take almost 10 mins (old HDD) a lot more extreme than what you've been experiencing but sounds like the same issue. I have yet to fully understand why though. I would suggest formatting the drives, my theory was that the HDD was formatted as the primary boot disk and the windows boot system that win 10 has may be trying to boot from them/scan and repair the boot files.

Tanyac

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
I believe systems with hard drives wait for the HDDs to spin up to operating speed. The more drives the longer it takes. My server has 8 x 10TB drives. Same deal. With the HDDs disconnected it's much faster. But with the 8 HDDs connected it takes longer. Before I put the SSD in it would take 3-4 minutes to boot up.

There's also the possibility of a failing drive. Extended boot times is a symptom of a drive who's controller is not functioning properly. It might be worth running some health tests on the drives, like with Acronis Disk Monitor, or Seagate seatools. Might not highlight any problems, but perhaps it will give you some piece of mind.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS