Question NVMe boots slower with sata drives installed

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
I have replaced my old boot drive (samsung 830 series) with a 970 evo nvme. I also have a 1tb 850 evo sata ssd as main storage drive, for further reading reference.

Initially I was having trouble installing windows and booting from nvme - it would still try to boot from the old boot drive (samsung 830 series 120gb).

Then I was told to remove ALL sata drives and leave only the nvme during installation.

It worked fine, it booted SUPER FAST to windows, but then I noticed it wouldn't detect my storage sata drive (850 evo) in windows explorer, after I plugged it back in. I assumed I plugged it in a disabled sata port (because of nvme protocol), so I changed the port, but still no result. As a side note, it only appears in bios but NOT in windows.

Before even installing windows in the 970 evo, I went to onboard settings and set PCIEX16_3 bandwidth to X4 mode (it was initially set at x2 mode). After I noticed my 850 is not detected in windows explorer, I thought the x4 mode is the culprit, so I reverted back to x2 mode.

This time, the 850 finally appeared in windows BUT my boot time got substantially slower. POST screen was just as fast, but the windows loading ("spinning circles") screen would take like 10+ seconds to pass to desktop. As a reference, before not detecting the 850, it would load so fast that I wouldn't even get to see the spinning circles screen - it would just throw me directly in the desktop.

Then I reverted the bandwidth mode back to X4 mode and this time it would still read the 850 in the desktop. Boot time got only slightly faster, but still not as fast as the first time.

If this detail helps with anything, in disk management, my 850 is now disk 0 and the nvme is disk 1 - nvme drive used to be disk 0.

I've done a quick search and read that I should turn off smart self-testing in bios, i've done that and even disabled all unused sata ports, but it's still slower. On top of all this, restarting is taking me ages, like 20seconds in the "restarting" spinning circles screen. I have to mention here that it would take just as long even BEFORE changing boot drive, but while it would read only the nvme, everything would move instantly.

But for boot time, it's pretty much same speed as my old 830. I know it shouldn't be a huge boost upgrading from sata ssd to nvme, but I know for sure that nvme boots noticeably faster.

What am I missing here? Is it all because I simply have sata drives plugged in that make the boot time naturally longer or did I do something wrong?

PS - I installed the latest nvme driver, but it made no difference.

Edit: I forgot to mention that after I installed the 970 evo I completely removed the old boot drive (830) from the PC.

Last edited:

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
As you sure you're booting from the NVME? It sounds like you reverted back to booting from the SATA drive...

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I removed the old boot drive. All I have installed now are 970 evo for boot and 850 evo for storage. the 850 evo has never been used for windows.

Edit: Yes. It's running from the nvme, since I see the windows icon on it on windows explorer.

Windows will inventory all drives attached to populate assrted WIndows Explorer context images correctly, etc, so to a certain extent, additional drives will slow it down somewhat while inventory is occurring...

As long as no applications were installed there from previous Windows install, it should not be an overly long wait...

If applications were installed on an additional drive, it may confuse WIndows somewhat. (I'd consider deleting the existing partiton, quick formatting, and starting over on the seemingly causing the delays,as perhaps that drive had assorted boot select menus from a previous install even though it did not contain WIndows itself...))

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
Windows will inventory all drives attached to populate assrted WIndows Explorer context images correctly, etc, so to a certain extent, additional drives will slow it down somewhat while inventory is occurring...

As long as no applications were installed there from previous Windows install, it should not be an overly long wait...

If applications were installed on an additional drive, it may confuse WIndows somewhat. (I'd consider deleting the existing partiton, quick formatting, and starting over on the seemingly causing the delays,as perhaps that drive had assorted boot select menus from a previous install even though it did not contain WIndows itself...))

Would it help if I just clean install win10 on the nvme again while having the sata ssd plugged in?

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
You aren't in GPT/UEFI boot mode... Looks like your issue is that you are in AHCI mode to me.

If you refer to my sata drive being AHCI, then yes, that's what I read in the bios too. I stayed away from settings that sound like they're gonna change ahci mode to intel premium idk what. I don't know what it means to change the mode of a drive like ahci, raid, intel rapid storage. I keep them at ahci, because i fear losing my data.

Edit: Just re-checked bios. Sata mode selection is set to AHCI if that's what you meant. The other option is Intel RST Premium(RAID). I never touched this option because I'm really not sure what it does.

Some guidance here will be appreciated. Just ask me anything

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Sorry I missed the efi partition, I'm used to see at at least 5 partitions on our systems.
Did you reinstall with just the 970 plugged in?
Also curious why your recovery partition says OEM. I'm used to see at least 5 partitions on an oem efi pc.

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
Sorry I missed the efi partition, I'm used to see at at least 5 partitions on our systems.
Did you reinstall with just the 970 plugged in?
Also curious why your recovery partition says OEM. I'm used to see at least 5 partitions on an oem efi pc.

Yes, I reinstalled with just 970 plugged in.
I have no idea why my recovery partition says OEM.