Question NVMe cable extension for Gen4 ?

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Looking for a cable to get the M2 off the board and mount in different place. Do they make one to do this? Does anybody know
the pin layout of the NVME M2 drive. Would like to design a way to kill power to the M2 and boot to different drive. Right now running 4 SSD drives one at a time with switches. Each
switch will turn on power to the drive, so every member in family has thier own drive. Like to be able to
do this on new build with a M2 on my switch. Right now ssd drives I just switch off the 12v and 5 volt wires, switches are only change with computer off. Not sure
it can be done with the M2 drive but would like to try. M2 must have power terminals too.

Looking for a cable to get the M2 off the board and mount in different place. Do they make one to do this? Does anybody know
the pin layout of the NVME M2 drive. Would like to design a way to kill power to the M2 and boot to different drive. Right now running 4 SSD drives one at a time with switches. Each
switch will turn on power to the drive, so every member in family has thier own drive. Like to be able to
do this on new build with a M2 on my switch. Right now ssd drives I just switch off the 12v and 5 volt wires, switches are only change with computer off. Not sure
it can be done with the M2 drive but would like to try. M2 must have power terminals too.
Not aware of any such cable but keep in mind that NVMe is just a PCIe x2 or x4and M.2 socket is just an extension from PCIe, wire to wire,contact to contact.
https://www.delock.com/produkt/64131/merkmale.html

there arent many options in consumer market, pcie risers maybe

on the other hand pcie 4.0 x4 full bandwith cables do exists in servers market, cable is called sff-8654 4i, its used for sas, but usualy server market has good things first, then it goes to consumers is some way once there is demand

Right now running 4 SSD drives one at a time with switches.
Each switch will turn on power to the drive, so every member in family has thier own drive.
That setup is so unnecessary complicated and convoluted.
There's no need to switch off drives.
OS is installed on different drives, you just have to remove drive letters for other drives (for other user OS).
They are not accessible anymore.

You could even do this with a single drive and multiple partitions (each OS in a separate partition).

Reactions: CountMike

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks
So if I put a SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 in my ASrock Z790 pro can I make it be the last drive to boot too? If my wifes SSD drive is on it will boot thier first if first into boot order? In still switch my SSD drives off, so if none are on the M2 will boot, but if a ssd drive is powered on it will bypass the M2 and boot the ssd drive. I wonder if the SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 is going to be so much faster to be worth it.

Thanks
So if I put a SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 in my ASrock Z790 pro can I make it be the last drive to boot too? If my wifes SSD drive is on it will boot thier first if first into boot order? In still switch my SSD drives off, so if none are on the M2 will boot, but if a ssd drive is powered on it will bypass the M2 and boot the ssd drive. I wonder if the SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 is going to be so much faster to be worth it.
fo os booting. not much diffeence...in some games there are differences, few games already stutter like crazy on sata while running fine on nvme