Question NVME cloning question.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I have an NVME on my PC music server, that is really running HOT. We're talking something is wrong with it. It is an NVME like I said but I have never cloned an NVME to another NVME before. How can it be done? I will have to look to see if there is another NVME slot to put the new NVME if that is what I decide to get. I don't know if I really need an NVME, but I do need at least an SSD. Have you ever clone one before?
What is a good cloning software?
Thanks.

I have an NVME on my PC music server, that is really running HOT. We're talking something is wrong with it. It is an NVME like I said but I have never cloned an NVME to another NVME before. How can it be done? I will have to look to see if there is another NVME slot to put the new NVME if that is what I decide to get. I don't know if I really need an NVME, but I do need at least an SSD. Have you ever clone one before?
What is a good cloning software?
Thanks.
Macrium reflect

It can be done with software, but it will make it run hot during cloning.

Also if I may ask what SSD is it, and how hot? I had a Samsung nvme that was hot as hell, but what I did was I bought GPU memory heatsinks and stuck one on the SSD controller chip, dropped temps by 30C, The SSD would get so hot it would slow way down and end up crashing the operating system. Amazon.com: 10pcs Mini Heat Sink for 3D Printer A4988 Adhesive Aluminum Chip Heat Sinks Fast Heat Dissipation : Industrial & Scientific

Was cheaper than them fancy pants nvme SSD heatsinks.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
It is an XPG brand. It is older, but why does it run so hot. 69c or 156F. The PC keeps restarting. Not a good thing.
Why would I need to add heatsinks? I didn't realize they ran so hot. Is that with all of them? Are some cooler than others? How will I know before I buy?
Maybe I should just stick with SSD 2.5 drives.

What specific NVMe do you have?

What are the temps?

It isn't likely you need onefor a music server. An ordinary SATA SSD should do the job fine unless you have some odd requirement.

NVMe does tend to run hotter than a SATA SSD.

You may have ventilation problems due to a poor case or poor cooling system in general.

You can clone them just like you clone any drive, but I'm not sure it would solve your heat problem.

They should throttle automatically before reaching a critical temp.

Mine hits 50 to 60 if I start writing to it. As high as 70 if I write for a long time. No heatsink on mine.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
If the NVME runs hotter, than I'll just stick with SSD for the drive. It will be much easier to work with anyway.
It is running at 69 idle, much hotter when being worked. Maybe around 80 or more.
Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
HP Elitedesk 800 G4
I thought the NVME was an XPG but I was wrong. It is a BPX brand. It is and older one I had laying around. it has 6588 total host writes, and 7730 host reads.
BPXE7FM04.3 but I don't know if that is the model for sure. I look it up and it just says BPX.
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Core i5-8500 - 87.3%
SSD: MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 103%
HDD: WD Red 2TB (2012) - 60.5%
RAM: Samsung M378A1K43CB2-CTD 1x8GB - 46.8%
MBD: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF

MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB-$60

1,301 User benchmarks, average bench 149%

31GB free (System drive)

Firmware: E7FM04.3 Max speed: PCIe 5,000 MB/s

Relative performance n/a - sequential bench incomplete

HP Elitedesk 800 G4
I thought the NVME was an XPG but I was wrong. It is a BPX brand. It is and older one I had laying around. it has 6588 total host writes, and 7730 host reads.
BPXE7FM04.3 but I don't know if that is the model for sure. I look it up and it just says BPX.
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Core i5-8500 - 87.3%
SSD: MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 103%
HDD: WD Red 2TB (2012) - 60.5%
RAM: Samsung M378A1K43CB2-CTD 1x8GB - 46.8%
MBD: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF

MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB-$60

1,301 User benchmarks, average bench 149%

31GB free (System drive)

Firmware: E7FM04.3 Max speed: PCIe 5,000 MB/s

Relative performance n/a - sequential bench incomplete
Run UBM again but this time post a LINK to the results page.
Don't copy and paste.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I've got the server apart looking at options.
I wonder if there are any NVME drives that run cooler than others? I was actually of thinking of just doing my OS drive as a 2.5 SSD and my storage drive as one also. My problem now that I have found is that I don't have a 3.5 to 2.5 storage adapter for my HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF. I can maybe get one to fit in an actual 2.5 slot, but I need special M3 screws to make it work right. I have found some screws that work, but they don't fit well enough that the 2.5 fits snug. The other bay is for a 3.5 with no options to do anything except get a caddy. I guess I could get some velcro and attach maybe to keep it in place and snug. Any thoughts on this?

USAFRet

Titan
I've got the server apart looking at options.
I wonder if there are any NVME drives that run cooler than others? I was actually of thinking of just doing my OS drive as a 2.5 SSD and my storage drive as one also. My problem now that I have found is that I don't have a 3.5 to 2.5 storage adapter for my HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF. I can maybe get one to fit in an actual 2.5 slot, but I need special M3 screws to make it work right. I have found some screws that work, but they don't fit well enough that the 2.5 fits snug. The other bay is for a 3.5 with no options to do anything except get a caddy. I guess I could get some velcro and attach maybe to keep it in place and snug. Any thoughts on this?
I've used velcro or doublesided tape on a 2.5" SSD before.
No problems.

3.5" to 2.5" adapter is under $10.

If you wish to clone, I have a well tested set of instructions for this.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I'm torn between aoemi backupper or macrium reflect for the cloning of my NVME drives. The thing is that my main computer will also need to be redone here shortly. I have to make my SSD larger as it is running out of room and getting old. It is almost 10 or 11 years old. I get a little scared just because of the age thing. The start up has been a little iffy the last couple of weeks.
Well, I will need a software that will convert it from MBR to GPT at the same time, and go from 256GB to 1TB. I think in order to get the convert from MBR to GPT a person needs the pay version of these.
I haven't used them enough to know what is best. Every article I read has a different one as the best. I guess I'll see who gives me the best deal.

USAFRet

Titan
MBR2GPT
Direct from Microsoft
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Cloning a 256GB to 1TB is easily done with Macrium.
I've not used AOEMI. I know Macrium works.

But....if it is acting "iffy", and if there are years of cruft built up....now might be the time for a fresh OS install.
Unless it is a physical issue with the SSD (unlikely) a clone will simply move the iffy software functionality from the old drive to the new.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I really believe it is the SSD. It is over 10 years old, maybe more like 11 or 12.
I know what you are saying about the cruft crap, but it would take me (seriously) at least 12 solid hours of install because of the programs I have on my main computer. And then, redoing all the setups for this stuff would kill me. I'll try the new drive first, and if that doesn't help, I'll do what you say.
I don't know if reflect will let me change my MBR to GPT in the free version, just like Aoemi won't in the free version.

USAFRet

Titan
I really believe it is the SSD. It is over 10 years old, maybe more like 11 or 12.
I know what you are saying about the cruft crap, but it would take me (seriously) at least 12 solid hours of install because of the programs I have on my main computer. And then, redoing all the setups for this stuff would kill me. I'll try the new drive first, and if that doesn't help, I'll do what you say.
I don't know if reflect will let me change my MBR to GPT in the free version, just like Aoemi won't in the free version.
See the above link from MS for MBR2GPT.

Then, clone.....

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.