Question nvme converter to sata possible ?

Sparxz

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
I hope to get a nvme 500Gb drive for two purposes. Get an old desktop system going again, and then re-use nvme same drive for a new build in a microXT form factor.
My old motherboard 'only' has sata ports.

Is there a converter for nvme to stata, so I can get a nvme now, and reuse in new build ?

Thanks

Maybe with a PCIe adapter card, but you probably wont be able to get it to boot as older mobos do not support NVMe.

I would suggest getting a SATA SSD. While on paper, NMVe drives are much faster, for most users, you wont ever notice a difference between a NVMe SSD and a SATA SSD. If you are moving large file transfers from one drive to another on a consistent basis, then it is definitely noticeable. If not, then save money and go with a SATA SSD.

Sparxz

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
My old mother board is and AMD based UEFI, and flexible boot friendly.

If there is an interface, I would get my old Mobo running, for next few weeks,
and then get busy start getting the parts for a new Ryzen build, in my first ever microXT system build. Other-wise I will have to buy x2 500Gb drives instead of one !

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
I hope to get a nvme 500Gb drive for two purposes. Get an old desktop system going again, and then re-use nvme same drive for a new build in a microXT form factor.
My old motherboard 'only' has sata ports.

Is there a converter for nvme to stata, so I can get a nvme now, and reuse in new build ?

Thanks
As prices for these drives are dropping anyway, wait until you have a system that can actually use it.
Spending money on an 'adapter' for an old system is simply throwing money away. Both the NVMe drive and the adapter.

popatim

Titan
No adapter exists to my knowledge and there really isn't a point to making one since all you would do is be making a Sata drive, with the same Sata speed limits, out of an NVME drive - and we already have cheaper Sata drives that hit those limits.

popatim

Titan
That will not get you connecting an NVME drive to the Sata port which is what is being sought.
If you look at the 2nd image on your link you will see that it only supports PCIE based M2 SSD's.
A Sata M2 drive is still just a Sata drive and has the exact same performance as it's 2.5" counterpart.

The other issues are that
1: older systems cannot boot from an PCIE/NVME drive and can only be used as general storage.
2: PCIE2, found on most older systems, halves the bandwidth so the drive performs roughly at half their best speed. PCEi1 would be worse.
3: Adding in a PCIE card may result in your GPU running a x8 instead of x16, depending on the motherboard.

That will not get you connecting an NVME drive to the Sata port which is what is being sought.
If you look at the 2nd image on your link you will see that it only supports PCIE based M2 SSD's.
A Sata M2 drive is still just a Sata drive and has the exact same performance as it's 2.5" counterpart.

The other issues are that
1: older systems cannot boot from an PCIE/NVME drive and can only be used as general storage.
2: PCIE2, found on most older systems, halves the bandwidth so the drive performs roughly at half their best speed. PCEi1 would be worse.
3: Adding in a PCIE card may result in your GPU running a x8 instead of x16, depending on the motherboard.

Perhaps you should have read the first reply to the OP's question:

Maybe with a PCIe adapter card, but you probably wont be able to get it to boot as older mobos do not support NVMe.

popatim

Titan
Froggy, your 1st reply says "Maybe with a PCIE adapter" referring to the OP's desire to connect an NVME SSD to a SATA port.
Then you go on to even link an adapter in your 2nd reply. I'm assuming you believe this would work and since we can't have the OP, or future readers, thinking it would - this information needed correcting.

Everything else is correct. Thank you.

- nuf said.

Froggy, your 1st reply says "Maybe with a PCIE adapter" referring to the OP's desire to connect an NVME SSD to a SATA port.
Then you go on to even link an adapter in your 2nd reply. I'm assuming you believe this would work and since we can't have the OP, or future readers, thinking it would - this information needed correcting.

Everything else is correct. Thank you.

- nuf said.

You still missed the point Mr. nuf.

The guy wants to use a NVMe (M.2) drive on a old system then move it to a modern system. M.2 drives dont connect to SATA ports (as you know). The only way to possible make it work, would be to get a PCIe adapter card for a M.2 drive that would run through the PCIe slot on the old computer. He wont get it to boot, but it is the only option that even has a chance. Then when he gets the new rig, he woudl ditch the PCIe adapter and drop the NVMe SSD in the M.2 slot on the modern mobo.

In the end, connecting a NVMe drive to a SATA port is not what the OP wants. The OP wants to use a NVMe drive on an rig without a M.2 slot. A PCIe adapter is the only way that is even feasible.

Not sure why you are even really arguing about it.

TRENDING THREADS