Question NVMe Disk order, BIOS

JWolfe

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I have built a new machine with
  • CPU: Ryzen 3700X,
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra,
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700
  • Boot drive: Gigabute Aorus NVMe Gen4 SSD 1TB (in M2.a slot, and GPT formatted)
  • 2TB Sata drive (GPT formatted)
and then later added a Nvidia 710 graphics whilst I wait for drivers to update in OpenSuse, and an Intel 660 SSD in M2.b slot

When the Grub bootloader runs, it asks me to unlock hdx, gpt6. The partition number is correct and stable, but the x in hdx is not. I have even had values higher than the (zero based) number of drives. Even odder, to my mind, is that the two NVMe disks have swapped. The Intel 660 is not yet formatted and is now nvme0n1, whereas the formatted boot drive is nvme1n1. Windows also shows the disks in this incorrect order.

The BIOS lists the disks, in the correct slots, but there is no interaction with them. In previous PCs, ages ago, I have been able to work with the disks in the BIOS and check their SMART startus and even change their order.

The machine has other problems and sometimes hangs when booting in Linux, but I thought I would start with this problem.

I can't see reports of this disk order problem affecting NVME disks before, nor of a BIOS that won't let me play with disks.

I would appreciate any pointers.

JW

JWolfe

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I see that I am rated as "distinguished". My last home build PC lasted 10 years, so I have been a member for a long time, but I don't have the experience of constant fiddling with PCs that you might think :)