[SOLVED] NVME failure from Sata Power Cable ?

ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Ok First off this is major Human error. I already feel like a dolt so please do not remind me of my own failure.

I had a RAID ProRaid system fail and I was taking out the individual 3.5 inch sata drives in order to see if by connecting them directly to the computer I could rebuild the RAID with software... this is not the issue at hand however.

During this process, and the entire time I had the computer I had an SATA power cable that was plugged into my modular power supply. However when I went to plug in my Drive from the RAID, my computer would not boot. I tried a few times nothing.

Then when I unplugged my Raid drive, it would boot fine to OS on the NVME card-- just like normal. OK so something was up with the cable, so I checked it, plugged another sata cable into the modular PSU and this time it turned on but went to bios and I smelled some burning dust , Oh no BAD!

Turned it off, unplugged the cable but now my NVME OS drive is not even booting and it says no NVME device is connected.

I have tried swapping the m.2 slot of the drive, but no luck.

My question-- obviously the PSU cable did some bad things but it was only ever plugged into the 3.5 inch HDD, could the cable some how have fried my NVME drive? Could it have fried the controller on the mobo?

I am still booting to BIOS and it seems fine just no more boot device + OS and all the storage gone?

Never expected that. The drive looks fine and has no smell of burning or obvious dmg.

Also no more burning smell, once the wrong cable was out of the PSU. It was not the modular manufactureres PSU, so obviously a different wiring schematic.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
I mean I can solder but this is extremely tiny.... How is this type of thing fixed via the manufacturer?

Typically, this type of thing is not fixed via the manufacturer. The cost of repairing an issue like this is far more, for the company, than simply recycling it and sending out a replacement.

Generally speaking, things like this are only worth repairing as a home project. The second you have to pay anyone to do anything, it becomes very expensive relative to the cost of the part.

Unless you're running an actual server, I'd certainly not bother with a RAID setup in the future as it almost never makes sense for a consumer otherwise and in fact, can be extremely counterproductive. Whether or not you can fix the NVMe...

DSzymborski

Titan
I mean I can solder but this is extremely tiny.... How is this type of thing fixed via the manufacturer?

Typically, this type of thing is not fixed via the manufacturer. The cost of repairing an issue like this is far more, for the company, than simply recycling it and sending out a replacement.

Generally speaking, things like this are only worth repairing as a home project. The second you have to pay anyone to do anything, it becomes very expensive relative to the cost of the part.

Unless you're running an actual server, I'd certainly not bother with a RAID setup in the future as it almost never makes sense for a consumer otherwise and in fact, can be extremely counterproductive. Whether or not you can fix the NVMe drive, I'd re-do the storage, reinstall Windows, and restore your data from your backups.

Are your hard drives being detected by BIOS at all? Your post is unclear about that part unless I'm misreading (it's late). The modular PSU thing is quite dangerous and it's fortunate that your PC works at all. You almost certainly had +12V going into the motherboard where it's not supposed to and the consequences of that can be both dire and unpredictable.

Reactions: ransom
Solution

ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I definitely did not have 12v it into the mobo. The only thing the modular cable was in was the 3.5 inch HDD (from the RAID box) straight from the PSU .

the bad cable was never going into the motherboard.

Yes, from the bios I am not able to recognize the NVME drive. (the one pictured.) But I am able to get to bios and the rest of the system looks healthy.

OK cool thats what I thought the TVS diode was.

ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
OK so I got an external enclosure to test it the drive , I was able to mount the NVME drive to my laptop but could not get into my user in windows , said access denied to get some critical files. It said click to get permentnt access and it took a minute to load the xplorer page then the drive remounted it self and the same thing, no access to user files but yes to system files.

I was able to access the windows folder ect... so I thought it looked good. However, it is still not being recognized in the m.2 slot of the original system, however when it is plugged into the original computer via the external enclosure, I am able to go through windows recovery option right now it is checking the disk for errors and says this could take up to an hour.

That finished and nothing. It is cycling through the boot. I tried a system restore from a few days ago and it said it restored itself successfully, but it is still looping through the windows recovery boot cycle, it is just basically looping though the recovery.

The only thing I haven't tried was to recover from a boot disk, So I am trying that now.

Last edited:

ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Here is the chkdsk data

C:\Users\Jordan> chkdsk d:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
1147392 file records processed.
File verification completed.
9315 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
2878 reparse records processed.
1453248 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
2878 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
152929 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
34144240 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

999543807 KB total disk space.
987170188 KB in 901839 files.
553708 KB in 152930 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
1283267 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
10536644 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
249885951 total allocation units on disk.
2634161 allocation units available on disk.

seems promising...

ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So before I tried to rebuild with a windows boot USB I took it back to my laptop to see if I could save files. and....

Yes, got data access with permission and copying data to a back up!!!!!! YES!

Last edited:

ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
OK at this point

I went through the auto repair loop many time, as the NVME drive is connected to the original PC via the external enclosure and being able to recognize and mount the drive, yet not get past the auto repair loop.

I was able to refresh windows and get the OS to boot normally. Yay!

However, now my internal NVME slots are still not seeing the drive. Even after the successful refresh, in the UEFI it says no nvme device detected, but we know it is not the drive now.

IMO this means it must be either, the NVME slot is fried, or because of the sata cable plugged that was in some how tripped up the UEFI to turn of the nvme channels? I guess I could try resetting the MOBO.... to default settings, /flashing it.

But at the very least I am up and running through the USB. And for a temp fix I just ordered a pcie to nvme adapter, that will be a bit more clean than dangling usb enclosure.