Question NVMe for old i7-4770k pc

Mar 27, 2023
Hi everyone!
I'm fixing an old pc and I have to choose which NVMe to take as the only disk. MB is an Asus Z97-p (bios 2907) and the CPU an i7-4770k, looking on Amazon I found these 1TB at interesting prices:

Crucial P3
Lexar NM710
Lexar NM610pro
Silicon Power P34A60
Silicon Power P34A80
WD SN570

Which do you think could be better? Or is there better staying in a similar price range?
Thanks a lot to everyone

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219
Can you get the WD SN 770? It might be similar in price and wouldn't make much difference on that board, but might when the user moves to a newer board.

Are you driven by benchmarks?

Of those you list, I'd probably go for the Crucial or WD SN 570, but that's just because of brand recognition.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have heard good things about the Crucial drive and have personally had great luck with WD Blue drives. I am not familiar at all with the others. I feel like I read something indicating that the Silicon Power are the same folks that do Microcenters in house brand drives, but I could be wrong.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone!
I'm fixing an old pc and I have to choose which NVMe to take as the only disk. MB is an Asus Z97-p (bios 2907) and the CPU an i7-4770k, looking on Amazon I found these four 1TB at interesting prices:

Crucial P3
Lexar NM710
Lexar NM610pro
Silicon Power P34A60
Silicon Power P34A80
WD SN570

Which do you think could be better? Or is there better staying in a similar price range?
Thanks a lot to everyone
With that motherboard, don't bother with NVMe. Get a SATA SSD. Your performance will be the same. The noticeable change is going from HDD to SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
I agree with the above, and suggest just going with a SATA III SSD.

Why?
NVMe support in the Z97 era was spotty.

1. It may not be able to boot from an NVMe drive. Not all Z97 boards could.
  2. A lot of the M.2 ports in those boards were PCIe 2.0, or 3.0 x2. Leaving it no faster than a SATA drive.