Question NVME heatsink question

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
I have two WD SN850X drives without heatsinks. Yet to test since other components not here yet, so I don't know how hot they will get. The motherboard has integrated heatsinks, albeit of lower cooling capacity than dedicated ones. Obviously thermal throttling would be a problem, but other than that I am reading conflicting information on the necessity of cooling these NVMEs. The most reasonable thing I've read claims that there are opposing trends at work: NAND likes to be warmer on writes but cooler for state retention. Also, the controller is clearly better off cooler. Since both the heat spreading sticker and the heatsink will connect the NAND and controller, clearly there's some less-than-optimal conditions.

Question: would it be worth either cooling just the controller (removing the sticker and putting a small heatsink on the chip), or the controller and NAND separately? Is it worth losing warranty for?

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the motherboard that you say has heatsinks on the slots? Like anything in tech, the hotter things run the slower they become, except for thermal paste, that thing has a break in time like all newly built engines.

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
Make and model of the motherboard that you say has heatsinks on the slots? Like anything in tech, the hotter things run the slower they become, except for thermal paste, that thing has a break in time like all newly built engines.
Asrock x670e Taichi. I think the NAND, on writes at least, does not become unconditionally slower with temperature.

It also depends greatly on how you use the drives.
99% of uses will never see temps that require heatsinks.
Fair point.

Its not a problem, until it IS a problem.

Don't fret until you get it all together and use it.
See what happens.
I meant it would be a problem if it happens. Bad wording. I was hoping to be semi-prepared so no downtime while I wait for heatsinks, etc.