pancakeloverz

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I am gonna build a pc soon and was wondering if the asus prime z390-p motherboard supports Nvme m2 storage. (And perhaps which sata port it uses)
Also can you tell me if that motherboard will be good enough for gaming?

I am gonna build a pc soon and was wondering if the asus prime z390-p motherboard supports Nvme m2 storage. (And perhaps which sata port it uses)
Also can you tell me if that motherboard will be good enough for gaming?

What CPU are you planning on using?

Here is a tier list on MB's.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, it supports NVME M.2 drives, and you do not lose any SATA ports when NVME drives populate the M.2 slot.
Slot #1 operates in PCIe Gen 3 x4.... Slot #2 is Gen 3 but x2.

You lose SATA6G_2 if you populate M.2 slot #1 with a SATA based drive, but that's irrelevant for this topic.

The motherboard has minimal impact to gaming, other than the components it supports. So yes, it's "good enough" for gaming, or any other task. Not the best overclocking board in the world, but given the pricepoint, that's hardly surprising.

Yes, it supports NVME M.2 drives, and you do not lose any SATA ports when NVME drives populate the M.2 slot.
Slot #1 operates in PCIe Gen 3 x4.... Slot #2 is Gen 3 but x2.

The motherboard has minimal impact to gaming, other than the components it supports. So yes, it's "good enough" for gaming, or any other task. Not the best overclocking board in the world, but given the pricepoint, that's hardly surprising.

That's the reason why I asked what CPU they are planning on.

Just to see and just in case.

One of the worst Z390 MB's you can buy now if not the worst, it's at the very bottom.

6j8i71dbrxv11.png

pancakeloverz

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hmm according to the list, its not the best motherboard. Im planning on using an i7 8700 (dont wanna overclock), so maybe the prime-A is better. But its just so damn expensive. Would the increase to A even affect my gaming performance?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
One of the worst Z390 MB's you can buy now if not the worst, it's at the very bottom.

And yet, pretty much functionally equivalent to any other Z390 board at stock operations.

Honestly, "tier" lists are misleading to the layperson. Yes, (for example) a $600 Maximum XI extreme is going to be 'better' when pushed to it's limits, but for the vast majority of users, the Z390-P is 'fine', and perfectly adeqaute - especially for it's pricepoint.

Hmm according to the list, its not the best motherboard. Im planning on using an i7 8700 (dont wanna overclock), so maybe the prime-A is better. But its just so damn expensive. Would the increase to A even affect my gaming performance?

See my response ^.

Given you're not overclocking a locked CPU.... unless you desire to SLI (hint, don't!) or need extra USB etc, then there's going to be no functional difference for you (i7-8700 + single GPU) between a top tier $600+ motherboard and any entry level B360 motherboards*.

*Or, with some caveats, even an extremely basic H310 motherboard for that matter.

Reactions: jankerson
And yet, pretty much functionally equivalent to any other Z390 board at stock operations.

Honestly, "tier" lists are misleading to the layperson. Yes, (for example) a $600 Maximum XI extreme is going to be 'better' when pushed to it's limits, but for the vast majority of users, the Z390-P is 'fine', and perfectly adeqaute - especially for it's pricepoint.

See my response ^.

Given you're not overclocking a locked CPU.... unless you desire to SLI (hint, don't!) or need extra USB etc, then there's going to be no functional difference for you (i7-8700 + single GPU) between a top tier $600+ motherboard and any entry level B360 motherboards*.

*Or, with some caveats, even an extremely basic H310 motherboard for that matter.

I say getting an H370 MB would be better than going with that.

At least it would be higher quality for the same money. :)

Pretty anything other than the one he picked would be better really like the ones you listed.

pancakeloverz

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hmm yeah mby H370 is better. Cheaper too. But it is also one of the lowest in the tier list. Could also consider Z370-A since its cheaper than the Z390-A. (Just to be sure, 370 is in no way outdated compared to 390 right?)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I say getting an H370 MB would be better than going with that.

At least it would be higher quality for the same money. :)

Pretty anything other than the one he picked would be better really like the ones you listed.

Hmm yeah mby H370 is better. Cheaper too. But it is also one of the lowest in the tier list. Could also consider Z370-A since its cheaper than the Z390-A. (Just to be sure, 370 is in no way outdated compared to 390 right?)

With a locked i7-8700, there's really no need to spend the money on a "Z" class motherboard be it a good/bad/indifferent "Z" motherboard.
Z390 replaced Z370 on the high end with the launch of the 9th Gen CPUs, but your CPU is an 8th Gen, and locked, so B360, H370 and H310 (in that order) is totally fine for you.

Yes, "more for the same money" is definitely a consideration but functionally, with an i7-8700, you're not going to see benefit in performance (with the same components, assuming all required features are present) between a $50 H310 motherboard and a $600+ Z390 board.

pancakeloverz

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Okay thanks for all the replies again.
In my country motherboard prices are pretty weird and dont really match the ones in USA, so idk if im gonna buy a H370 yet (its pretty expensive compared to z370) I also kinda want it to look pretty nice n stuff hehe. And the Z370 A would be nice for that. But imma see if i got de money. Thx

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If a Z370 or Z390 motherboard is cheaper than an H370 or B360, then there's no harm in buying one.

With a locked CPU, it really doesn't matter if you're looking at the bottom of the barrel quality Z390 or not. Honestly, it's irrelevant to you.