specs

3700x
1080TI
16 gigs ddr4
windows 10 installed on 1 SSD
1 additional SSD for files
and 1 HDD for storage and games
x470 taichi mobo

system runs fine usually as i am currently typing this thread on it.

i bought a used nvme drive and on installation it keeps my system from recognizing the SSD my OS is on and it gives me the mentioned 0xc00000f error message and does not boot to windows

if i boot to bios, and go to boot option, the SSD that my OS is on is not even in the list of bootable drives
windows boot manager defaults to the new nvme drive and trys to boot windows from it on startup

if i restart and F11 into the boot menu i CAN see my ssd with my OS on it, and when i choose it, my pc will then boot normally and it will function fine i can see the nvme drive in 'my pc' in thr drives list and can use it as storage, although, as soon as i restart my pc, the problem persists and i will get the 0xc00000f message again if i do not go to the boot menu and manually choose my ssd w my os on it

if i boot with a windows disc and run scanos with the nvme installed, it does not see my os installation (makes sense cause whatever reason my nvme is making it not be able to be seen)

as soon as i uninstall the nvme, my computer goes back to booting/behaving normally

i read around the internet a while ago that the position your drives are plugged into on the sata ports matters

originally my drives were plugged into ports 3 and 4 and 5. i moved them to 1 2 and 3, and the problem still happens whenever the nvme drive is install no matter which sata ports my drives are occupying, no nvme installed on the board, , again, my pc is fine.

i dont see anything in the bios about switching any modes for my nvme or sata ports.

Last edited:
Solution
no my system automatically recognizes the new nvme drive and trys to boot windows from it.
Boot into windows and clean nvme drive.
Bootloader on onvme drive is preventing normal boot from your SSD.

In fact you should be able to specify in BIOS, what windows boot manager is being used - from SSD or from nvme.
But if you can't do it, just clean nvme drive.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Make and model of SSDs and nvme drive?

Does the nvme already have windows on it?

this error makes it impossible for the operating system (OS) to read the booting configuration data, leading to the appearance of the blue screen with a message informing you to repair your computer.

Oct 24, 2020
If you can't see it in bios then it's either faulty or not connected.

So you want to remove windows from the non nvme ssd?
no I would like to keep my system and windows installed as is and just add the nvme drive as an extra drive

I can see my ssd just fine in bios as long as the nvme is not installed on my mobo.. I am not manipulating the ssd with windows on it in anyway it is still connected when it is not being recognized when the boot manager decides to wsnt to read the nvme drive instead of my ssd

no my system automatically recognizes the new nvme drive and trys to boot windows from it.

In fact you should be able to specify in BIOS, what windows boot manager is being used - from SSD or from nvme.

Reactions: Arrahdre
Solution
Oct 24, 2020

I finally figured it out. there was an old partition still left on the nvme. I booted w a windows disc and properly formatted the drive and my pc stopped trying to boot from it.