[SOLVED] NVMe is recognized but won't boot

_Alexa_93

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
I have a NVMe WD Blue SN500 and WD Blue 1TB HDD, my hdd started failing about a week ago so I wanted to boot only nvme (i have windows on it of course),i plugged off hdd, bios is recognizing nvme but it said "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert..."
I now bought the exact same hdd, of course nothing changed but i want to know if i can fix this.

Solution
If it won't boot from the NVMe alone, that tells me that some necessary Windows files were on the dead HDD. When it was alive, those files were available during the boot process. They aren't available now because they don't exist on the NVMe drive.

Solution:

Copy off whatever data is on the NVMe that you don't want to lose....maybe to an external drive. I assume that is personal data like movies or music or pictures, etc.

Then do a new clean install to the NVMe with NO OTHER DRIVE CONNECTED so you cannot possibly put Windows files on the wrong drive.

I assume you have a valid license. If you don't, all bets are off.

_Alexa_93

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
How did Windows get on the NVMe?

Clean install?

Clone of some type?

Image restoration of some type?

Details needed.
I installed it for free 2 years ago using media tool, i went to custom install i guess but i don't even know how to clean install so maybe then not, about clone and image restoration, if it's something you need to do manually probably not, sorry for the lack of info...
I also know that when hdd failed windows and pc would still run and i would only have local disk c on my pc, so that means it is on ssd..

I also know that when hdd failed windows and pc would still run and i would only have local disk c on my pc, so that means it is on ssd..

"when hdd failed windows and pc would still run".

Your first post says it won't run.

I'm confused.

I'm not sure what your goal is.

If you in fact want to have Windows on the NVMe and have a valid license, you certainly should be able to do a new clean install onto the NVMe....with the HDD completely removed from the PC.

_Alexa_93

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
"when hdd failed windows and pc would still run".

Your first post says it won't run.

I'm confused.

I'm not sure what your goal is.

If you in fact want to have Windows on the NVMe and have a valid license, you certainly should be able to do a new clean install onto the NVMe....with the HDD completely removed from the PC.
Oh yeah when hdd failed while pc was on, pc or windows didnt turn off.
But if i wanted to boot up windows without hdd it wouldnt boot.
I just wanna see if somehow i messed up something in bios and i want ssd to boot, i can reinstall windows but i dont want to lose data..

If it won't boot from the NVMe alone, that tells me that some necessary Windows files were on the dead HDD. When it was alive, those files were available during the boot process. They aren't available now because they don't exist on the NVMe drive.

Solution:

Copy off whatever data is on the NVMe that you don't want to lose....maybe to an external drive. I assume that is personal data like movies or music or pictures, etc.

Then do a new clean install to the NVMe with NO OTHER DRIVE CONNECTED so you cannot possibly put Windows files on the wrong drive.

Reactions: _Alexa_93
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
When you installed Windows on the SSD, were both drives connected?
If so, the boot partition ended up on the other drive...the HDD.

Put it back together in working condition, and post a screencap of your Disk Management window.
(upload to imgur.com and post the link here)

Reactions: _Alexa_93

_Alexa_93

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021

Solution:

Alright, thanks for help!

TRENDING THREADS