Question NVME kinda slow to boot but I have a beast of a machine...Bios (UEFI) setting off?

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
I have 2 Sata HDD and two NVME M.2 (WD 500GB haul-assers) which is my "C" Drive and D Drive and a 1TB Samsung Evo 960 as well. I also get a pretty slow boot time considering. I get the post screen and then the win spalsh and circle loading which takes maybe 30 seconds which seems fast to most but for an NVME it should be about 5-8 seconds to the desktop from power off.

I have a 6-core i5 latest gen 3.7GHZ, X390 ASROCK Phantom Gaming 4 with intel 300 support and neweet Bios and my CPU is a "K" series (unlocked), 32GB DDR4 3000 and an RTX 2070 8GB DDR6 with an EVGA single 200mm or so water cooling single radiator and misc fans built into case (Coolermaster H500, everything runs perfect but I'm thinking something is off in bios (ultra boot speed is on) and Fast Boot is ticked in the power prefs in Win 10 (should one of those be off?) It doesn't boot near as fast as when I first set it up. new but I haven't changed much if anything except something maybe something missing in Bios?, but it's a little lower end boarudget one at that but it stillbooted much faster (like 6 seconds with the same hardware in it so somthing is off, I started from scratch a couple times and tried to only touch the basics for booting etc. to try and get it back but still missing something, what should I check? I just want fastest bootup and that's it, everything else is perfect.

I haven't tried disconnecting the HDD's as it used to boot super fast regardless. I DON'T have the NVME set as the SATA 0 but it is set was the first boot device with all others disabled and only usb mouse and keyboard plugged in with LAN boot off but it still takes while to boot up. I read something about enabling "DMI" in the bios to get a super fast boot speed but there's a couple DMI settings and a couple refer to DMIASPM (Power management) so I'm not sure which to enable or disable. I am running with all C-states and power management off for optimal speed since I have the hardware and water cooling so all power management c-states etc are off for optimal speed.

I can't really go without the HDDs as they are 8TB HGST drives at 7200 which host my plex server media etc so I'm kinda stumped here.

Anyone who could shed a little light on this I'd REALLY appreciate. I know 30-40 secs seems fast but for an NVME that's very slow and the nvme drivers are installed and updated and I DID NOT install the NVME WD Utilities for the drive as they only load AFTER the boot process and there's nothing in the driver regarding performance anyways, it's just for life of drive and stuff like that, nothing to set regarding performance and crystal Mark reports it reading at over 3000 and writing at about 2800 so the drive is running at full speed at least when windows is loaded and running which is the latest 1809 64-bit pro version with all current updates and zero device manager errors. I also have a 850W power supply (Corsair CX850 modular) so as far as I can tell it MUST be a bios setting but for the life of me I can't figure it out....ugh.

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.
Fas

Last edited:

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
Yes and no. Tried both ways no difference at all and neither a difference in windows power setting if fast boot.on or off there or any combo of the two. Very strange. I'm starting to thing fault SATA ports on board or SATA controller etc. They aren't plugged into the two that get disabled either when using the m. 2 slots that's the first thing I checked.

Ugh... frustrating

TRENDING THREADS