[SOLVED] NVME M.2 compatibility with Samsung NP930X2K

Jul 17, 2020
I'm a bit out of my depth here...

I have a Samsung NP930X2K-K02US laptop running Win 10 Home. Currently it has the original Samsung mznte128hmgr SSD. I'd like to replace this with something larger and with the best performance possible.

However I can't work out whether the M.2 interface on the motherboard will support/boot from an NVME SSD, which would be my first choice of replacement drive type.

On inspection the motherboard socket is M-keyed and so will physically accept an NVMe drive, but whether the hardware/firmware will support it I can't ascertain, and neither can I find a service manual giving motherboard specification. I think I understand that it depends on what generation of PCIe support the motherboard/bios offers, but that's as far as I have got. Have had a poke around in Device Manager but didn't get anywhere. The bios hasn't been updated since new.

Any help with working out whether something like a Western Digital wds500g2b0c would be compatible with my machine would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Edward

Solution
Unless that existing drive is an NVMe, or you can find some specific documentation that the laptop can use one...it can't.
In a low end laptop from 2015, highly unlikely.

Just put in a M.2 SATA III SSD of larger size, and move on.
You'll not notice any actual difference in a low spec system like that.

USAFRet

Titan
Unless that existing drive is an NVMe, or you can find some specific documentation that the laptop can use one...it can't.
In a low end laptop from 2015, highly unlikely.

Just put in a M.2 SATA III SSD of larger size, and move on.
You'll not notice any actual difference in a low spec system like that.

Solution