[SOLVED] NVME M.2 drive noises? (Samsung 970 Evo 500gb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molda_22

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
Hi, i have a new build and i decided to pick one NVME M.2 drive (samsung 970 evo 500 gb) and what surprised me is how loud it is when its used (by program, by browsing, by game etc). it is making screeching noises almost like standard HDD do when they write or read data (even though NVME drives shouldnt have any moving parts if i am correct). It is not extremely loud, and if wearing headset i will not hear it, but its very annoying and for me unexpected. The problem is i decided to have it as my OS drive so if i decided to return it or get another standart sata SSD i would have to start from scratch with almost everything.
Is it normal for NVME drives? does only some make that noise? Or is it damaged? thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I have two Samsung Evo's and there is no noise coming from them. I really doubt any noise will come from an NVME unless it is not plugged in fully or something. Which video card do you have? It might be possible that there is coil whine on the GPU or a case fan/PSU fan is making the noise.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
I have two Samsung Evo's and there is no noise coming from them. I really doubt any noise will come from an NVME unless it is not plugged in fully or something. Which video card do you have? It might be possible that there is coil whine on the GPU or a case fan/PSU fan is making the noise.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution
Dec 5, 2019
Yes I confirming, because of space missing replaced my old good quite intel nvme 600p 500GB with samsung nvme 970 evo plus 1TB few days ago and now have this irritant noise from ssd, is faster thats true, but this buzzing noise causing headaches and looks like is standard behavior on this ssds.

I open my case and search for component which causing noise, and is ssd., GPU, fans, power supply everything pretty quiet in comparison.

Only in idle, in case when transferring some data it's quite. You can try to transfer data and let me know if also same on your side?

Also noticing that higher drive temp >60c causing even louder noise (measured with CrystalDiskInfo), so maybe to reduce it you can open pc case, move it to some colder place in case like below GPU, not above (not sure why MBOs have such bad design that common nvme is located above hot gpu) or add some fan on it.

Probably will need to buy some other ssd maybe with heatsink on it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Holland
Status
Not open for further replies.