Question NVMe M.2 SSD 52°C idle with heatsink

luckeR

Reputable
May 3, 2016
Hello,

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

I don’t know guys but I am really worried about the drive. Browsing forums..and I can see almost everyone is hitting approx. 35 °C. I am at around 49-51 °C. I also bought heatsink on it and it did zero change. Temps were totally the same.

While running benchmark via Samsung Magician (its like 1-2 minutes benchmark) temps went up to 70 °C.

I have it placed between my cpu (8700k) and gpu (1080ti). Mobo is z370 Gigabyte Gaming 7 (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z370-aorus-gaming-7_1003_181029_e.pdf - page 7). Should I place the drive at the bottom of my motherboard to the latest M.2 slot? (I would try it..but it means to unmount cpu cooler Noctua nh-d15 again).

I don’t know what to do to be honest. It’s my main drive and I think that something is not right.

CPU temps are at around 32 °C and GPU at 40 °C while doing nothing - idle.

Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do about the temps?

Lutfij

Titan
For all intents and purposes, that cover over the M.2 between the CPU and GPU is not a heatsink. More like a heat trap. You should try and have a fan blowing air across said heat trap and see if temps drop. Also, you should remove the sticker labeling the drive in order for the drive to make contact with the heat trap material and the thermal interface tape/material.

luckeR

Reputable
May 3, 2016
For all intents and purposes, that cover over the M.2 between the CPU and GPU is not a heatsink. More like a heat trap. You should try and have a fan blowing air across said heat trap and see if temps drop. Also, you should remove the sticker labeling the drive in order for the drive to make contact with the heat trap material and the thermal interface tape/material.

To be honest.. I did not want to remove the sticker because of warranty loss. Air flow should be fine to be honest (regarding my other temps). But maybe it is not that good as it should be. I can try to change possition of the disk at the bottom of my mobo. Is that OK to only change the slot right? Windows won't detect any changes?