[SOLVED] NVMe m.2 SSD crap speed on new, unused HP laptop - SOLVED

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
Hello,
I have a HP Notebook -15-db1041nm, specs here.

It supposedly has a NVMe m.2 SSD, Kioxia KBG40ZNV256G.
That SSD apparently gives this performance (ca. 1900 mbs read/ 1100 write).

I tested it with Crystal Disk Mark (latest version, default settings), and got this result (450/380 mbs):

e5i3Smg.jpeg

I have Bitlocker on it, but I have same on my other PC with 7 year old 2.5" SSD which gives better test results.
All drivers on laptop are updated, no conflicts issues etc. BIOS shows no configurable options regarding storage.

What is up with that?! I should be having Mustang but getting crappy El Torino instead :LOL:

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Solution
is your BIOS version up to date?

even if you cannot fix the issue, the SATA-like speed on a laptop will hardly be a problem. I personally prefer SATA drives over NVMe for better driving range (battery life)
I believe your drive will sip less energy in PCIE 1 mode.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
more than half full.
delete everything and test with a empty ssd

Here are the results of my old 2.5" SATA SSD, with same capacity and similar data occupancy and same configuration (bitlocker). Both are system drives. Could the data on that NVMe cause such drop of performance? I somehow doubt it. The older disk is much closer to the specifications (it was 500/500 or something along those lines).

p9vDSdM.jpeg

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
Can you show screenshots from Disk Management and
Device Manager - disk drives and storage controllers sections expanded?

Sure, here it goes:

hWV1qSt.jpeg

I've researched a bit on the HP support site, there are multiple complaints about the stock SSD the HP preinstalls but still according to the specs of that OEM NVMe SSD it should perform way better...

I basically get the SATA port speeds, a far cry from the NVMe

Hello,
I have a HP Notebook -15-db1041nm, specs here.

It supposedly has a NVMe m.2 SSD, Kioxia KBG40ZNV256G.
That SSD apparently gives this performance (ca. 1900 mbs read/ 1100 write).

I tested it with Crystal Disk Mark (latest version, default settings), and got this result (450/380 mbs):

e5i3Smg.jpeg

Actual picture of SSD inside laptop:
BIxCXE3.jpeg

I have Bitlocker on it, but I have same on my other PC with 7 year old 2.5" SSD which gives better test results.
All drivers on laptop are updated, no conflicts issues etc. BIOS shows no configurable options regarding storage.

What is up with that?! I should be having Mustang but getting crappy El Torino instead :LOL:

Any suggestions?
Show a screenshot from crystaldiskinfo for the m.2.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
And there is your reason......pcie 1.0x2.

Something is very wrong there as the disk itself surely supports much faster data rates.
On the other hand the connector can't be only pcie 1.0x2 as this is the technology from the 2005 or something like that.

Could it be that something is limiting the disk from using newer standard? This laptop is from 2020. and is simply not possible to have such limitations.

Something is very wrong there as the disk itself surely supports much faster data rates.
On the other hand the connector can't be only pcie 1.0x2 as this is the technology from the 2005 or something like that.

Could it be that something is limiting the disk from using newer standard? This laptop is from 2020. and is simply not possible to have such limitations.
Try reseating the m.2 in the slot see if it makes a diff.

Try moving the m.2 to a different machine see if the problem follows.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
BIOS is crap, can't configure anything except boot order and some unimportant stuff:

rphOC3p.jpeg

jmsSTST.jpeg

l9fDkw7.jpeg

boGlPba.jpeg

This probably means that replacing the SSD won't do any good. There is some issue with those HP 15-crap laptops regarding PCIE speed which is probably deliberately capped and non-configurable.

Same issue here. Not solved. HP lies about specifications.

Excerpt from the tech documentation:
U4kJOvh.jpeg

And for a M2.SATA drives:
yjgJqpl.jpeg

So basically the drive is NVME but with 15-year old data rate which the user CAN'T change/manage.

Last edited:

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020

even if you cannot fix the issue, the SATA-like speed on a laptop will hardly be a problem. I personally prefer SATA drives over NVMe for better driving range (battery life)

Solution

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015

Update got it sorted:

EyKpkXd.jpeg

Crappy HP software can update only drivers but not BIOS (nor at least detect that there is newer version and display info about it), so one has manually to do it. New BIOS version is non-configurable as previous.

Up till now can't notice any speed increase which may be due to the only 8 GB of RAM (-2 for GPU). :geek:

This issue is now solved, thanks all for their insight

:smirkcat: