[SOLVED] NVME M.2 SSD help.

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
So I want to upgrade my current storage to M.2 SSD as the read/write speeds are obviously ridiculously quick. I keep seeing a WD Blue (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dg...lue-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0b ) M.2 SSD which seems really good money for performance, €120 for 1TB of M.2 storage. This drive will be used mostly for gaming and I plan on shifting all of my games over to the M.2 drive. Do you recommend I purchase the SSD I linked? Or do you think I should side with the kings of SSD world samsung, My budget is around €150 and I would prefer to get atleast 500GB. Thanks!

Solution
Alright so my Intel 660p arrived yesterday, So far so good. Do you recommend I use it as a boot drive or just to store games as I've heard the QLC isn't very good when it comes to under load compared to SLC, TLC etc
If your OS and applications are currently on the 850 SSD, I'd leave them there.
Use the new 660p for other stuff.

USAFRet

Titan
"M.2 SSD as the read/write speeds are obviously ridiculously quick "

Incorrect assumption.

"M.2" is simply the form factor...how it connects.
The WD BLue is a SATA III drive, available in either the standard 2.5" format or the M.2 format.
They run exactly the same speed.

An NVMe drive is what you're looking for as far as "faster". That also comes in the M.2 package.
Such as the Samsung 970 EVO or Intel 660p.

And that 'faster' is not always noticeable. For instance...games installed on that drive would see little or no benefit.

What motherboard do you have, what other drives are in this system,. and what do you use it for?

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
"M.2 SSD as the read/write speeds are obviously ridiculously quick "

Incorrect assumption.

"M.2" is simply the form factor...how it connects.
The WD BLue is a SATA III drive, available in either the standard 2.5" format or the M.2 format.
They run exactly the same speed.

An NVMe drive is what you're looking for as far as "faster". That also comes in the M.2 package.
Such as the Samsung 970 EVO or Intel 660p.

And that 'faster' is not always noticeable. For instance...games installed on that drive would see little or no benefit.

What motherboard do you have, what other drives are in this system,. and what do you use it for?
I have a ASUS Z370-P(Little on the flop side) And I have a WD Blue 1TB HDD and a Samsung 850 Evo 256GB. I Mostly do game. My SSD contains all my windows files with my HDD containing all my games and other programmes.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Intel 660p. I have one.
Slower than other NVMe drives, but much cheaper. And for your use case, you'll see no difference.

Ah, okay. I was just going to ask if they were similar or there was a difference. I saw the 2280 in the Intel headline and not in the Crucial. I haven't received it yet, I'm trying to figure which motherboard + processor to upgrade to and will be installing it at the same time.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Also a good drive.
I got the 1TB 660p a couple months ago, because it was on sale for $88USD.

I see you are well-qualified- any thoughts on this?

TRENDING THREADS