[SOLVED] NVMe M.2 SSD might be causing BSOD, need advice on potential solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2021
So I have an ASUS TUF FX505DT laptop and I recently upgraded it to have an extra 1TB SATA SSD and 8 GB of extra RAM. Now I'm not sure if this upgrade is the cause for the issue or if it's just coincidence, but lately I've noticed that I've been getting a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD whenever I try to read/write too much to the original SSD that it came with, a 500GB NVMe M.2 PCIe.

I noticed it got a BSOD when I tried running CrystalDiskMark to see its speeds, when I tried to move a fairly large folder from it to my new SATA SSD, and when I was trying to download a fairly large game into it as well. I'm still not actually certain if this is what's causing it, but it's also been the recurring element in these events. I want to clarify that while I did get one BSOD when I first upgraded my machine, I did not get any more for several weeks until I started trying to do big things with my original SSD (moving large folders around, etc.) Recently I did another test where I once again transferred a fairly large folder from my SATA to the M.2 and noticed that at some point the transfer speed dropped to 0 MB/s before my laptop crashed and I once again got the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR screen, so I'm starting to be fairly certain that the M.2 is the cause. There was also a few times when, after restarting from the BSOD, I would boot straight to BIOS and it would act as if it couldn't read Windows on my M.2 and it would take a while and a few more resets until it would boot normally.

From here I think that I have two possible solutions, either I just get a new M.2 altogether (overall fairly pricey) or I move my OS to the SATA and keep the M.2 as just a secondary drive. My question is, if the M.2 is just a secondary drive and doesn't have Windows on it, can errors coming from it still cause blue screens? And on that note, how much slower will my boot time/general use be if I put windows into the SATA?

Also, for some reason my laptop isn't generating any dump files whenever I crash. I'm not sure if it's due to a setting I may have configured wrong or because I'm per-emptively resetting my laptop once it hits the BSOD since the percentage value never seems to go up despite how long I wait.

Laptop Specs:
  • Model: ASUS TUF FX505DT
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz
  • Storage: 500 GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD + 1 TB SATA SSD
  • GPU: GTX 1650
  • Memory: 8x2 GB, 2400 MHz

Solution
0x124 bsod usually is CPU related but in your case just do what you already suggested, i usually remove all but 1 harddrive/ssd when im clean installing windows, that way nothing can go bad. Just make the Sata ssd as your boot drive.

If you still get bsod after that try removing the PCIe ssd altogether and just use the sata ssd and see if you get any
0x124 bsod usually is CPU related but in your case just do what you already suggested, i usually remove all but 1 harddrive/ssd when im clean installing windows, that way nothing can go bad. Just make the Sata ssd as your boot drive.

If you still get bsod after that try removing the PCIe ssd altogether and just use the sata ssd and see if you get any

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.