[SOLVED] nvme m.2 ssd not showing up

Shane_6

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
I installed a sandisk ultra m.2 nvme 1tb ssd on my asus z97 pro gamer motherboard and it doesn't show up. I updated the bios with the current nvme compatible version. any idea why?

Solution
is it showing in bios anywhere?
or does it show there and not windows?

do you have any sata drives in PC?
.2 Socket 3 shares bandwidth with PCIEx1_1 & PCIEx1_2 (in PCIE mode) and SATA6G_4 (in SATA mode), and supports M Key and type 2260/2280 storage devices. Refer to section 2.6.3 PCH Storage Configuration and 2.6.7 Onboard Device Configuration of this user guide for more details.
your manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E10265_Z97-PRO_GAMER_Guide_v2_web_hi_res.pdf

i assume thats a PCIE nvme so the m2_sata mode under PCH Storage config can probably stay disabled (page 2-33 of manual)

check under Onboard Devices Config to find M.2 PCIE mode - default is disabled so set it to...

Colif

Win 11 Master

.2 Socket 3 shares bandwidth with PCIEx1_1 & PCIEx1_2 (in PCIE mode) and SATA6G_4 (in SATA mode), and supports M Key and type 2260/2280 storage devices. Refer to section 2.6.3 PCH Storage Configuration and 2.6.7 Onboard Device Configuration of this user guide for more details.
your manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E10265_Z97-PRO_GAMER_Guide_v2_web_hi_res.pdf

i assume thats a PCIE nvme so the m2_sata mode under PCH Storage config can probably stay disabled (page 2-33 of manual)

check under Onboard Devices Config to find M.2 PCIE mode - default is disabled so set it to enabled it (page 2-37)

M.2 PCIe mode [Disabled]This item appears only when you installed a PCIe M.2 SSD module and allows you to enable/disable M.2 PCIe mode. Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled]

I used to have a Z97 Pro WIFI, never even contemplated an nvme in it, it overloaded my 4690k with an ssd, more speed wouldn't have helped.

Solution

Shane_6

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015

check under Onboard Devices Config to find M.2 PCIE mode - default is disabled so set it to enabled it (page 2-37)

M.2 PCIe mode [Disabled]This item appears only when you installed a PCIe M.2 SSD module and allows you to enable/disable M.2 PCIe mode. Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled]

I used to have a Z97 Pro WIFI, never even contemplated an nvme in it, it overloaded my 4690k with an ssd, more speed wouldn't have helped.
Changing the onboard device config to enabled fixed it. I also had to go into partition manager and create a new partition as normal for any new hard drive (for anyone else that may find this).
Thanks for the help