Question NVMe M.2 Upgrade Clone Boot Fail - SOLVED

mikeolivera

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Decided to upgrade my 1-year-old build one-drive system from a Samsung PM961 512GB MVNe M.2 to the new Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB. This ASrock SFF mobo has one M.2 socket on the back and has current firmware, I'm running Windows 10 and booting from UEFI. Following is my procedure:
  1. Add SATA 512GB Samsung SSD to system and boot from original MVNe M.2
  2. Make a Acronis True Image 2019 clone of the original 512GB MVNe drive to the 512GB SATA SSD -- Successful
  3. Shut down, remove original MVNe M.2 and install new 1TB 970 EVO Plus
  4. Boot successfully to SATA SSD, launch True Image and clone the SATA SSD to the new Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB -- Successfull
  5. Shut down, remove SATA SSD, attempt to boot from new Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB -- FAIL into Windows 10 automatic repair mode, and none of the options work.
Yes, I've gone into BIOS and selected all the boot options one after another and none work. Seems to me this is a UEFI issue. I should mention the DVD drive available is USB 3.0, not internal. Regrettably, I'm a 75-year-old hardware geek that knows diddly about UEFI. Any suggestions?

SOLVED
After talking to Samsung Support, twice, and downloading and trying their Data Migration Tool . . . it still didn't boot.
I remembered I had made a disk image backup a week ago using Macrium Reflect onto my Synology NAS so I thought why not, I'll try a Macrium Reflect Restore from the NAS. Took awhile but booted first try! The problem was definitely in the Windows Boot area but I know not what the exact issue was. All this stuff is magic anyway, right? ;-)

Last edited: