[SOLVED] NVMe M.2 Vs 6Gb/s Sata SSD

May 8, 2019
So I'm currently building a new pc and using a few parts from current, and I was looking into getting an M.2 SSD but the MOBO I have (MSI B450Tomahawk) turns off the 6gb sata slots when you have an M.2 in. That being said, would it be worth it to use an M.2 and then just use my 6gb/s Sata SSD in the 3gb/s sata port, or pick up a second 6gb/s ssd and forget the M.2?

Solution
You have 6 SATA connections on that board and per the specs two of them are disabled when you connect that M.2 so you still have 4 SATA connections.
I think it depends on how much you really need the extra speed of the NVMe (M2).

For instance....at home I am a gamer. That's the main thing I use my home PCs for.

I don't see the extra speed of an NVMe type drive benefiting me enough to cover the cost and the work of swapping.

....but if you were going to transfer lots of data regularly.....then an NVMe (M2) may be the way to go.

Reactions: WildCard999
May 8, 2019
I think it depends on how much you really need the extra speed of the NVMe (M2).

For instance....at home I am a gamer. That's the main thing I use my home PCs for.

I don't see the extra speed of an NVMe type drive benefiting me enough to cover the cost and the work of swapping.

....but if you were going to transfer lots of data regularly.....then an NVMe (M2) may be the way to go.
I just mainly wanted one for the loading speeds, and looking into things the WD Black is a pretty solid M.2 with a good price.

I just mainly wanted one for the loading speeds, and looking into things the WD Black is a pretty solid M.2 with a good price.
Well.....being you are building from scratch....it's easier deciding now than changing later.....so I'd say that if the price doesn't bother you then do it. It will reduce loading times....but in games....in general....there isn't a lot of loading....although there is generally a lot when you launch the game....so that will speed up.