Question Nvme m2 SSD not showing up in Disk Management

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
It shows up in device manager and in the bios but I cannot assign it a drive letter in disk management or see it in My computer

Motherboard is a ASUS ROG STRIX b660-a. Bios version is up to date and I changed a more settings then I can remember to get it to be visible in windows. Also updated Intel ME, MEI and serial drivers

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the NVMe drive? Your motherboard has 3cx M.2 SSD slots, have you tried working with the others on the board?

For the sake of relevance, it'd be helpful to state what the BIOS version is at this moment of time. If you updated the BIOS recently, did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully?

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Make and model of the NVMe drive? Your motherboard has 3cx M.2 SSD slots, have you tried working with the others on the board?

For the sake of relevance, it'd be helpful to state what the BIOS version is at this moment of time. If you updated the BIOS recently, did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully?
The ssd is an Samsng 970 Evo Plus. I've tried the first two m2 slots with no luck. Bios version is 1620. Haven't tried or do I know how to clear the CMOS on this particular board

The ssd is an Samsng 970 Evo Plus. I've tried the first two m2 slots with no luck. Bios version is 1620. Haven't tried or do I know how to clear the CMOS on this particular board
In disk management, you can't assign a letter until it's formatted first . Make it GPT and NTFS.
You can also try with Minitool partition wizard

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
In disk management, you can't assign a letter until it's formatted first . Make it GPT and NTFS.
You can also try with Minitool partition wizard
It does not show up at all in disk management. In the past I've seen new drives show up as unallocated; their by allowing me to format it/assign a drive letter to it.

Also; I tried resetting cmos by shorting the two pins associate with in on the board. It ended making two of my existing drive read as ahci and the bios does not have a straight forward way of changing it back to uefi

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
....So long story short; the drive was being detected and I was already using it. I just assumed that I was still using my old 2TB HDD due to what sounded like the noise that those make. Said noise turned to just be my dvd-rw drive that had a disk in it. I ended up formating said drive like an idiot when I loaded the MiniTool program because I assumed that it needed to be before assigning a drive to it.

Thanks for the help regardless

....So long story short; the drive was being detected and I was already using it. I just assumed that I was still using my old 2TB HDD due to what sounded like the noise that those make. Said noise turned to just be my dvd-rw drive that had a disk in it. I ended up formating said drive like an idiot when I loaded the MiniTool program because I assumed that it needed to be before assigning a drive to it.

Thanks for the help regardless
Letters are assigned to partitions not drives even if it's only one partition on a drive, To avoid confusion with multiple drives and partitions I give each one a name because letters can change but name stays.