[SOLVED] NVME not recognized after cold boot

ThomasCro

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Hey guys, I have an issue with my NVME drive not being recognized as connected after I do a cold boot after my PC has been turned off overnight.

I have a b450 Tomahawk Max and an ADATA SX8200 Pro

The NVME is tightened with a screw, so it's not losing connection.

Whenever I just do a reboot, it works normally, but when I boot it after a night of being turned off, my PC boots me into BIOS saying there isn't an OS drive plugged in.

I then unscrew the NVME, unplug/plug it and it works after that.

Motherboard BIOS is the latest v36, I didn't install any specific NVME drivers though.

Does anyone know what kind of problem this is and what could the solution be?

When I was installing the OS the first time, I had to unplug all my other SATA drives to be able to get the OS to boot from the NVME properly, I then reformatted all the other drives and it works correctly when rebooting.

Does it have to do with the other SATA drives somehow interfering?

The manual says that SATA5 and 6 are disabled when the m.2 drive is plugged in, but those ports are not used by my setup at all.

I have the automatic OC "game mode" turned on and XMP profile 1, could it be a possible voltage problem?

Thanks in advance!
Thomas

Last edited:
When you power on, go straight into the BIOS setup. Then let the machine sit there for a few minutes. After this delay, exit BIOS and restart without powering down.

If this works, then it would suggest that the SSD is taking too long to come ready, in which case BIOS times out while waiting for it.

ThomasCro

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Sadly, no changes at all. Left the BIOS running for 5 minutes, rebooted, goes straight back into BIOS saying nothing is inserted in to the m.2 slot.

Power off, unplug/replug the m.2, turn it back on, works 100% of the time.