[SOLVED] Nvme question

Mar 26, 2021
Hi Team,

Actually I need to purchase a hardware raid adapter for my nvme disks.

My hardware is R630 and it had 2 nvme disks.

I like to purchase nvme hardware adapter From below link.

I'm confused here. It says SSD7202(2port) or SSD7204(4 port).

I don't know thr difference between these 2.

NVMe SSD Form Factor.

One is m.2 nvme ssd and another one is m.2 ssd.

I don't what is the difference? Please clarify.

https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Te...C3VFMJQVSSC&psc=1&refRID=CGMGW3E6VC3VFMJQVSSC

Solution
Mar 26, 2021
Thanks much @velocityg4

I'm using this adapter for esxi os.

As the esxi doesn't have software raid support, we are looking for hardware raid adapter for nvme disks.

Do you have any idea how to enable hardware raid from dell r630?

Thanks much @velocityg4

I'm using this adapter for esxi os.

As the esxi doesn't have software raid support, we are looking for hardware raid adapter for nvme disks.

Do you have any idea how to enable hardware raid from dell r630?

When booting there'll probably just be a post screen from the card which'll flash for a second or two. Listing a key combo to press to enter RAID setup. Once setup it should just be recognized by the computer as a single storage device.

I'd expect the cheap card would work for hardware RAID too. Once RAID is enabled in the BIOS. As long as the Intel controllers or whatever is built into the Dell supports NVMe RAID. It would be seen by the OS as hardware RAID. But the dedicated RAID card controller likely will perform faster. Once RAID is enabled on the BIOS. You'd get a Raid setup screen like with the card.

Mar 26, 2021
When booting there'll probably just be a post screen from the card which'll flash for a second or two. Listing a key combo to press to enter RAID setup. Once setup it should just be recognized by the computer as a single storage device.

I'd expect the cheap card would work for hardware RAID too. Once RAID is enabled in the BIOS. As long as the Intel controllers or whatever is built into the Dell supports NVMe RAID. It would be seen by the OS as hardware RAID. But the dedicated RAID card controller likely will perform faster. Once RAID is enabled on the BIOS. You'd get a Raid setup screen like with the card.