Question NVME raid 0 broke on a Z390 board and now drives won't raid 0 on a new Z690 board?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I used to run system based upon Aeros Z390 Pro from Gigabyte. It ran until this summer on a NVME raid 0 of two Samsung 970 EVO plus. This july the raid 0 broke while gaming, and then I had to reset the bios and then the raid 0 wouldn't show up in Windows 10, even though the bios allowed me to restablish the array. But both drives still work fine by themselves on my old system.

Fast forward to this december. I rebuild my desktop based up a now Asus Z690 tuf gaming D4 motherboard. I can get the 970s drives to connect in a raid 0 via the ASUS bios and the bios says the connection is "normal". However if I try to install Windows 10/11 on the raid 0 the raid 0 doesn't show up, and I have to exit the install.

I tried to initial the raid 0 with this driver here

Because the rapidshare tech driver on the ASUS motherboard driver site doesn't load at all during windows install (if I put it on an USB thumb drive).

But the raid 0 drive doesn't show up.

But Intel rapid share tech and WMD are enabled in the bios.

I know some would say that putting NVMEs in raid has no point, but my point being could something be broken inside one of the drives? resulting in the working fine on their own, (have run both chkdsk and Samsung Mag, and they say the drives are fine), but unable to intiallize an array together in Windows 10/11? Any way to detect if something is wrong with either of the drives?

p.s. I got the drives to enter into a raid 0 inside Windows 11, using Intel Rapidshare tech software. But the drives wouldn't merge together inside Windows. They still show up as two seperate drives. There aren't suppose to be any lost partions or anything on either of the drives.

So any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 14196

Can you try them on a different motherboard that you might have. Maybe they got damaged on the last motherboard

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Can you try them on a different motherboard that you might have. Maybe they got damaged on the last motherboard

I don't currently have any never motherboard than this brand new Asus 690 P Tuf Gaming motherboard D4.

But if I have run userbenchmarks online software (know it isn't best according to this site).

This is with the what I think is bad drive enabled.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48462929 it makes the system drive run 87% slower than the non-system drive.

How if I disable the 2nd drive and run on the system drive only.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48468627

D

Deleted member 14196

Basically the drive that’s in the sata port is not going to run as fast as the other nvme port