NVMe real-world usage

Aug 4, 2018
I'm building a PC for 3D animation and video editing.

Upon spending a bit of time reading about NVMe and SATA SSD, I noticed many websites stating that only servers and high-end workstations would benefit from it.

So between NVMe and SATA SSD, the boot time and game loading time seems nearly identical.

My question is, for consumers, which tasks would benefit from an NVMe?

Solution
For consumers, nothing really. I notice the faster game load times. Pretty easy to tell who has an NVMe SSD, SATA SSD, or HDD when you are one of the first to load a new map.

For 3D animation, I'm not sure, I would think once everything is in working memory it wouldn't matter all that much. If you are constantly accessing different projects, maybe.

Video editing can involve extremely large raw files. Having a fast SSD there can make a difference when previewing files and editing before outputting a final encoded file. Encoding itself benefits somewhat from fast storage, but only if you have a single working drive (I think). If you use different source and destination drives, it matters less.

Encoding itself is either CPU or GPU powered.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For consumers, nothing really. I notice the faster game load times. Pretty easy to tell who has an NVMe SSD, SATA SSD, or HDD when you are one of the first to load a new map.

For 3D animation, I'm not sure, I would think once everything is in working memory it wouldn't matter all that much. If you are constantly accessing different projects, maybe.

Video editing can involve extremely large raw files. Having a fast SSD there can make a difference when previewing files and editing before outputting a final encoded file. Encoding itself benefits somewhat from fast storage, but only if you have a single working drive (I think). If you use different source and destination drives, it matters less.

Encoding itself is either CPU or GPU powered.

Solution
Anything that is disk speed limited will always improve with a faster disk. Therefore in terms of speed it goes NVMe > SATA SSD > HDD. Video editing is something that can be disk limited so the faster disk will improve your editing times. Also things that load a lot into RAM, HANA DB is something like that, the faster the disk the sooner the data gets into RAM and can then be worked on.