[SOLVED] NVMe SSD Buy

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi

I want to buy a new 1TB SSD for my everyday normal work and 2k Gaming on Ultra settings on RTX 2080 graphic card.

Which one is best for boot drive and to install the game on same drive and play

For storage i have already separate drive.

Thank you

Solution
The 970 Pro will give zero performance benefit. Waste of the extra money.
The 970 EVO was mentioned above.
The WD Black is not bad as well.

Of these drives, and the ones I recommended...you will see zero performance difference in your stated use.
Yes, including the SATA III drives (MX500 and 860 EVO).

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
For that use, an Intel 660p would be a good choice.

Yes, other NVMe drives are 'faster'. But for that use, you'll never notice. And the 660p is significantly cheaper per GB than say a Samsung 970 EVO.
Thank you

So can we install windows 10 and game in same NVMe SSD drive.

what will you recommend? will it affect performance?

Or do we need separate boot drive and separate Game drive?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Yes, you can install the OS and games on the same drive.
1TB Intel 660p would be my recommendation.
Thank you for your recommendation.

I doubt can we install the M.2NVME SSD in my motherboard or not?

Because it has M.2 Sata ssd slot not the NVMe ssd slot

Or are both slots are same?

My mobo: Z390 A PRO

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
This is your motherboard, right?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z390-A-PRO/Specification

It supports that drive.

1 x M.2 slot (Key M)
Supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s, 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
Yes this is my motherboard.

And instead of buying the NVMe.

Can i buy the 2.5" ssd drive. Will it have same performance as NVMe.?

Will it any kind of bottleneck in my case if i will install windows and game in 2.5"ssd drive?

popatim

Titan
Sata SSD is definitely SLOWER then the NVME SSD.

If you are considering a Sata SSD then just get the 660p, it's almost the same price as a quality Sata drive and you don't want a cheap Sata SSD. Some of the Cheap ones are slower then a harddrive.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Sata SSD is definitely SLOWER then the NVME SSD.

If you are considering a Sata SSD then just get the 660p, it's almost the same price as a quality Sata drive and you don't want a cheap Sata SSD. Some of the Cheap ones are slower then a harddrive.
I see that intel 660p has very low endurance and don't have much life as it is qlc drive.

A 1TB 660p is rated for 200 TBW endurance, which should be plenty for anyone not doing certain professional tasks or heavy video recording/editing involving massive amounts of data being written to the drive on a daily basis.

To put that amount of writes into perspective, if you wrote an average of 20GB of data to the drive every day, it should take over 25 years for the drive's flash cells to wear out. Or even at 50GB of writes per day, which would be rather unlikely for regular home use (at least for the near future), the drive's cells should still last for over 10 years.

While QLC might offer fewer write cycles per cell, with a large 1TB drive there are more cells to spread those writes across, making that something of a non-issue. It could definitely be a concern if we were talking about 250GB drives for instance, where there are fewer cells in total, but the 660p isn't available in that capacity. On that note, a 250GB Samsung 970 Evo, which uses more durable MLC storage, costs far more on a per-gigabyte basis, but only offers 150 TBW endurance due to its lower capacity. In a 1TB capacity, a 970 Evo's endurance will be much higher, but again, if you are not likely to ever use those additional write cycles, it shouldn't really matter.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...eries-1-0tb-m-2-80mm-pcie-3-0-x4-3d2-qlc.html
" Endurance Rating (Lifetime Writes) 200 TBW "

Do you have any real world idea how much that is?
As in, you will never ever come close to that number.

But, if the 660p scares you for some reason, you are free to buy something else.
You asked, we recommended.
My actual concern: currently i am using only 120Gb WD green M.2 SSD. and i am facing hang situation during the download of the games for some time.

During the downloading of the games from internet. its shows Disk active time is 100%. Not sure if it expected or not.

Or is that due to i am using too low GB SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
My actual concern: currently i am using only 120Gb WD green M.2 SSD. and i am facing hang situation during the download of the games for some time.

During the downloading of the games from internet. its shows Disk active time is 100%. Not sure if it expected or not.

Or is that due to i am using too low GB SSD?
The WD Green is one of the worst performing SSD's among the major brands.,
And 120GB is Too Small.

How full is this drive?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Crucial MX500
Samsung 860 EVO

Either 2.5" or M.2 format.

If you want to spend the extra money, Samsung 970 EVO or EVO Plus.
But you won't see any magical performance difference in your stated use.
Thank you again for the recommendation.

But i can see more SSD which is better than which you have suggested but those are pricey.

Is that waste of money to buy those? i guess those pricey SSD also having same performance in real world as compare you have suggested?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you again for the recommendation.

But i can see more SSD which is better than which you have suggested but those are pricey.

Is that waste of money to buy those? i guess those pricey SSD also having same performance in real world as compare you have suggested?
The ones, I've recommended...Intel, Crucial, Samsung...are pretty much the only ones I would buy. Maybe a Sandisk Ultra3D as well.
You asked for recommendations.

What other ones are you looking at?

USAFRet

Titan
The 970 Pro will give zero performance benefit. Waste of the extra money.
The 970 EVO was mentioned above.
The WD Black is not bad as well.

Of these drives, and the ones I recommended...you will see zero performance difference in your stated use.
Yes, including the SATA III drives (MX500 and 860 EVO).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS