Question NVME SSD cloning gone wrong

Oct 15, 2020
So I bought a WD BLUE 500gb NVME SSD and yesterday it came in and I installed it on my motherboard. Everything seemed fine so I opened up Acronis True Image WD edition and attempted a clone from my small 120gb sata ssd boot drive to my new nvme ssd. Everything looked well and after I have allocated the storage, I formatted my old 120gb ssd and sent it offline. I turned off my computer and unplugged the sata and power connectors from my sata ssd. I turn on my computer and get an error saying that my requested boot drive couldn't be found. I then spend the next hours trying to troubleshoot, replugging sata drives which later can't be detected when both sata ssd and hdd is connected. I tried all of the bootrec and decided to just reinstall windows. I get into the windows media creation and tried to install windows on the nvme ssd but it was partition which would not allow windows to be installed. So I shift f10 for command prompt and cleaned the nvme ssd in diskpart and it started to install windows. I go through the normal windows installation and it looks like I fixed the damn problem. So I unplugged the small ssd and guess what, it brings me to a blue screen of "your pc needs to be repaired" "recovery tools". So then again I search the web for fixes and kept clicking on boots in the UEFI which finally came me trying to install windows again. So I did the same cleaning from command prompt and now it tells me that I'm not able to install windows on the nvme ssd. I then kept rebooting, formatting and replugging in drives and now I can't evne get into the windows installation tool despite the flash drive created for it is plugged in. I now get a "Reboot and select proper boot device" everytime. When I plug in my hard drive, the nvme ssd disappears from the UEFI. When I plug in the old sata ssd, the hard drive disappears. In conclusion, I <Mod Edit> up this whole cloning drives and now I'm on the 'verge' of destroying my whole computer. Fix?

B450m DS3H

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 15, 2020
I have only the nvme ssd installed and it still brings me to "Reboot and select proper boot device" when my usb flash drive containing windows is plugged in. I also go into the bios to manually boot from the nvme and same thing and at this point I'm ok about losing my C drive.