Question NVME SSD need SATA preinstall?

breakman42

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Hello,

I am building a new PC and want to make sure I am getting the best speed out of my SSDs. My motherboard(Gigabyte Z690 gaming x ddr5) manual states that if I want to install the OS on an M.2 PCIe SSD then i need to install the Intel RST VMD controller driver first during OS installation. later on it calls it the intel SATA preinstall driver. I have 2 WD SN850 1TB NVME SSDs. Just a couple questions about this.

-Is installing this actually necessary with my drives?

-if I install the driver will it throttle my NVME SSDs down to SATA speeds or will it ignore that and still run the SSDs at NVME speed? (I am concerned because the driver download has SATA in the name)

-If I don't install the driver will it not allow my SSDs to reach nvme speeds?

Thanks so much!

No, it should not be necessary. I've done Windows 10 and 11 installations on like five or six Gigabyte Z690 boards with NVME drives, so far, and to be honest even in the past on previous Intel and AMD generations as well as with this one I've never had to do anything other than install the hardware, set the USB flash drive as the boot device and then install. I would not bother with the Intel RST driver. Just disconnect ALL secondary drives, leaving only the flash drive you are installing from and the NVME drive you are installing to connected, on the exit tab in the BIOS select the flash drive from the boot bypass menu that has your Windows installer on it and proceed with the installation. It should be as simple as that.

After installation you can power off and reconnect your secondary drives. If those drives ever had Windows installed on any of them you will want to make sure you have deleted all the hidden EFI and recovery partitions from those drives so you don't confuse the BIOS with multiple boot partitions connected to the system. You will need to use disk management or a third party partition manager to do so OR if you are very familiar with what you are doing you can use the Windows installer to eliminate unwanted partitions by choosing the "Custom" method during the installation and managing the removal of those partitions on the subsequent "choose where to install Windows" screen.

Basically though, just don't connect those drives until after you've installed Windows on your NVME drive and you should be fine.

breakman42

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Okay I only have the 2 NVME drives so i should not have to disconnect any other drives. If not adding that driver will not slow things down then i will do that and see how it goes. Thanks.

Yeah, I've never once, in all these years (Well, not the full 35 years of working on systems, but the last fifteen for sure. Prior to that, much different platforms and configurations), I've never had to install any of those preinstall storage drivers for anything, at all.

@USAFRet , have you ever had to on any modern hardware?

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I've never once, in all these years (Well, not the full 35 years of working on systems, but the last fifteen for sure. Prior to that, much different platforms and configurations), I've never had to install any of those preinstall storage drivers for anything, at all.

@USAFRet , have you ever had to on any modern hardware?
No.

If you had to, how would you ever build up a brand new system with anew drive and OS?

breakman42

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
I have looked through my BIOS. as far as i can tell the only option related to SATA was to enable or disable Sata Controller(s). If I am only using NVME drives do I even need that controller on? Sorry I am new to building a system from scratch.

Last edited: