Question NVMe SSD no longer detected

May 26, 2023
While I was playing a game, the display glitched briefly before locking up completely. I had to a hard reboot which then showed me a "Check Media Presence" error.

- Checked the BIOS and the SSD wasn't being detected.
- Re-seated the SSD but still the same (no physical damage on the SSD)
- Reinstalled Windows 10 on my hard drive and it booted fine
- I have another SSD coming tomorrow, I'm just hoping its the SSD and not my motherboard.

The SSD was running fine before this, I've had my system under much higher workloads and I've never had issues. The SSD never throttled when the system got hotter. Is this common for NVMe SSDs to fail like this?

The SSD in question is a Samsung NVMe 512GB PM981a
i7-9700K with an RTX 3060ti
The system is mainly used for 3D modelling and some rendering

While I was playing a game, the display glitched briefly before locking up completely. I had to a hard reboot which then showed me a "Check Media Presence" error.

- Checked the BIOS and the SSD wasn't being detected.
- Re-seated the SSD but still the same (no physical damage on the SSD)
- Reinstalled Windows 10 on my hard drive and it booted fine
- I have another SSD coming tomorrow, I'm just hoping its the SSD and not my motherboard.

The SSD was running fine before this, I've had my system under much higher workloads and I've never had issues. The SSD never throttled when the system got hotter. Is this common for NVMe SSDs to fail like this?

The SSD in question is a Samsung NVMe 512GB PM981a
i7-9700K with an RTX 3060ti
The system is mainly used for 3D modelling and some rendering
I'm not familiar with the PM series but I would suspect it was a fault with the card which no isn't common especially in a samsung device not that it doesn't happen it could just be a cheap run of nvmes